Spin 5 touchscreen issues

mc04
mc04 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My SP513-51 has intermittent problems with touch dead zones, accompanied by the touchscreen becoming generally much less responsive. The dead zones have been a few square inch inches, and along the top edge of the screen. Touches elsewhere require significantly more sustained pressure than usual to register, and scrolling is slow and jerky. The problems persist over a reboot, but seem to resolve themselves after 30 minutes to an hour. The latest time this happened, I also cleaned the screen and put it to sleep and brought it back between noticing the problem and it being resolved, though I don't know if those did anything.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    >>>My SP513-51 has intermittent problems with touch dead zones>>>

Intermittent in this case probably means the LCD ribbon cable connector to the mainboard needs to be re-seated a half-dozen or so times to clean the contacts up a bit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mc04

Tinkerer

Figured it would be something like that. Would that connector be under the tape at the top right of this image?

• JackE
    edited February 2018
    The red circles on your pix and "#2" on the mainboard pix below seem to be the target. "#11" is the battery connector. "#1" The CPU with fan. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mc04

Tinkerer

I tried the suggested solution and it seemed to help but I started getting some minor related problems again. (Brief intermittent touchscreen dropouts, the computer sometimes acting like it's been flipped into tablet mode with 'Autorotate on' coming up in the top left and momentarily disconnecting the keyboard when in laptop mode.) The most reliable way I've found to diagnose it is drawing a continuous line with the touchscreen in paint - eventually you'll get a short break even without lifting your finger.

Anyway, I recently upgraded my SSD so I had the computer again and fiddled around the cable a bit more. Pulled it in out several times and added another piece of tape since the original lost some of its stickiness and the latch that holds the cable down seems a bit loose and flimsy. I haven't gotten the keyboard disconnecting since doing this, but that's always been hard to intentionally reproduce. The line test is better, but I do still get an occasional break.

I might have another go at that cable if it gets annoying again, but I'm wondering about getting at the other end of it. Does anyone know about getting into the lid? The only obvious entry point seems to the seam around the edge. And the cable itself - can it jiggled around or replaced, or is it fixed in place, and if that's where the problem lies I'll need to replace the entire screen unit to fully solve it?
  • JackE
    Yes, you should re-seat the other end. Here's a pix of the mess to get to it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ