Lately my laptop has been freezing up.

t56rose
t56rose Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Ctr Alt Del doesn't work to bring up Task Manager anymore either. What is going on with my laptop?

Answers

• t56rose
    t56rose Member Posts: 2 New User
    if you know how to fix this email t56rose@msn.com
  • Shcoriaty
    Shcoriaty Member Posts: 1 New User
    Occasionally when I’m on the Internet, usually watching a video on YouTube, the screen freezes up and makes a loud buzzing noise. The only way to make it stop is to turn off the laptop. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Member Posts: 6 New User
    I have been having the same problem, unfortunately, it appears finding a solution on this Acer forum is non-existent. I have tried everything known to man to resolve this issue and the only option was to remove the battery. When the Laptop freezes, you can't get to the shutdown button, hitting F5 or Esc doesn't do a thing. Since you are on battery power, trying to reboot is a no-win scenario as unplugging the laptop only goes to battery power, leaving you to wait until the battery runs dry and the system shuts down. Removing the Battery completely allows you to simply unplug the laptop and it forces an immediate shutdown. I am so tired of never getting any support from Acer, I'm about to just shelve this laptop and buy a different brand. Good Luck to All!
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,787 Pathfinder
    Hi,

you can try the below steps to resolve the issue.
    Step 1: Perform power drain by following the below steps.

1.Unplug the AC adapter from your notebook.
    2.Turn the notebook and look for battery reset pin hole.
    3.insert the paper clip and hold it for 30 - 40 seconds.
    4.Turn over the notebook one last time and plug in your AC adapter.
    5.Turn on your notebook.

Step 2: delete cache from your unit.

1. Press and hold windows + R 
    2. type %temp%
    3. highlight the files and delete all the files ( if you get error that so and so files cannot be deleted then skip them )

Also, try the below steps

1. Press and hold windows + R 
    2. type prefetch
    3. highlight the files and delete all the files

Step 3: Perform Clean Boot

1. Press and hold Windows + R 
    2. Type msconfig
    3. click on services tab
    4. on the left corner check the box which says hide all microsoft services
    5. Click on disable all
    6. click apply and restart

Step 4: Increase the virtual memory space.

Link: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2840886/if-windows-virtual-memory-is-too-low-you-can-increase-it-but-there-are-trade-offs.html
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    if you want to wipe it completely and get rid of all that "helpful" acer stuff that slows down your pc, get a 8mb+ usb stick and do a completely fresh install from a downloaded image from MS using the media creation tool.  This will wipe the lot so make a backup before you start, here's the link (without the acer stuff, your pc will be quicker than the day you got it with a fresh install).  Any third party stuff would have to be manually reinstall after this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10