Anyone know how to resolve a CPU utilization that won't go beyond 33%? Aspire V5-561P-5451

Options
2»

Answers

• greginfl
    greginfl Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    I was going back reviewing this discussion and thought I'd try a couple things again, especially the ThrottleStop program to try to figure out why the changes didn't work.  I ran it again and unchecked both the BD PROCHOT option and SpeedStep. Almost immediately, I heard the fan increase slightly and checked the stats. I am now getting 100% CPU Utilization and 2.4 GHz speed!  I figured it was the SpeedStep because BD PROCHOT didn't work for me Tuesday, as tested variously and described earlier in this discussion with a screenshot. After some enabling and disabling, SpeedStep has no affect, but BD PROCHOT now does.  I do not know why BD PROCHOT suddenly is working now, but nonetheless, it is!  When I enable, the CPU is throttled even when not hot.  When I disable, the CPU throttle is removed. I will post a status here of the outcome of this setting, including any CPU burnouts that occur. lol  My gut feeling is telling me that the original problem was heat due to water under the laptop preventing air circulation while I was running a conversion program that was a CPU hog.  Somehow, maybe, unsure, could be, but maybe the heat turned on a throttle prior to the laptop shutting off and the throttle has been on since. Maybe the throttle would have turned off on its own after a few days of average processor use. I will enable BD PROCHOT after a week and see if my CPU remains at 100%.  Any other ideas are welcome, please.  If this doesn't work, it may be Win8.1 for me until I get a new laptop. Thank you Ven98!  Thank you JackE in NJ!  Thank you JordanB. Your help is greatly appreciated.  Greg.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Well, if disabling BD PROCHOT worked now, then most likely the system has overheated, when it shut off. I would suggest you to open the laptop, remove the CMOS battery(will reset BIOS settings), leave it at rest for 5-10 minutes and place the battery back, assemble the laptop and turn it on. Leaving the device running with PROCHOT disabled for a week and then enabling it is unlikely to stop your CPU from throttling.

The CMOS battery is a little circular battery, which can be found on the motherboard.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• greginfl
    greginfl Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    I am about to go out of town and will be back Sunday night. I will reset the BIOS when I return. I believe I remember seeing a 'reset to factory defaults' setting in the BIOS menu yesterday, so I guess I can use that option first before opening the laptop again. If that does not work, then I will open the laptop and disconnect the battery for ten minutes.   
  • dbDesigner
    dbDesigner Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I had exactly the same problem at a client today with a Windows 10, Dell Celeron Laptop.

The machine took almost 30 minutes to open Outlook and was terribly slow in general.

The CPU ran at 30% maximum utilization, at 0.48Ghz PERMANENTLY, every day.

I noticed at the right bottom of the screen that although the laptop was plugged into power, the battery icon said "not charging" and battery level was 1%.

To resolve it, I did the following (perhaps this could work for you too):

1. Double-click the battery icon (not right-click) at the right-bottom of the screen (in the tray)
    2. Click "Battery Settings"
    3. Untick the option for: "Turn battery saver on automatically if my battery falls below..."
    4. Disable the setting: "Battery saver status until next recharge"
    5. Unplug the charging cable and re-plug it into the charging port of the laptop.

The battery icon at the right bottom of the screen should now change to "Charging".

After this the CPU started running at 100%, 2.48Ghz and the machine worked well again.

For good measure, click on the battery icon again and set the power mode to "Best Performance"

Note: I noticed that all the battery settings for "Pressing the Power Button", "Pressing the Sleep button" and "Closing the lid" were set to SLEEP. So I guess that every day when the client went home, he closed the lid and put it in his laptop bag. This totally drained the battery, and because the setting was enabled to use Battery Saving when power dips below 20%, every morning the laptop would be SUPER slow.

Whether the Battery Saver setting disabled the battery from charging I can't say for sure.

To avoid the problem for this client, I changed most settings to "Shutdown" and some to "Hibernate"

• AlefCS
    AlefCS Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited May 2020
    Options

I had exactly the same problem at a client today with a Windows 10, Dell Celeron Laptop.

The machine took almost 30 minutes to open Outlook and was terribly slow in general.

The CPU ran at 30% maximum utilization, at 0.48Ghz PERMANENTLY, every day.

I noticed at the right bottom of the screen that although the laptop was plugged into power, the battery icon said "not charging" and battery level was 1%.

To resolve it, I did the following (perhaps this could work for you too):

1. Double-click the battery icon (not right-click) at the right-bottom of the screen (in the tray)
    2. Click "Battery Settings"
    3. Untick the option for: "Turn battery saver on automatically if my battery falls below..."
    4. Disable the setting: "Battery saver status until next recharge"
    5. Unplug the charging cable and re-plug it into the charging port of the laptop.

The battery icon at the right bottom of the screen should now change to "Charging".

After this the CPU started running at 100%, 2.48Ghz and the machine worked well again.

For good measure, click on the battery icon again and set the power mode to "Best Performance"

Note: I noticed that all the battery settings for "Pressing the Power Button", "Pressing the Sleep button" and "Closing the lid" were set to SLEEP. So I guess that every day when the client went home, he closed the lid and put it in his laptop bag. This totally drained the battery, and because the setting was enabled to use Battery Saving when power dips below 20%, every morning the laptop would be SUPER slow.

Whether the Battery Saver setting disabled the battery from charging I can't say for sure.

To avoid the problem for this client, I changed most settings to "Shutdown" and some to "Hibernate"

I gotta say that I tried this not believing it would work because in other threads of this problem no one said any solution worked (except using Throttle Stop which has no support for AMD) and because the problem first appeared when I started PC (it took more time to load GRUB) and I booted in Ubuntu and already had the problem and when switched to Windows the problem was still there. But I tried your solution and instantly correct the problem. Thank you a lot man.

P.S.: Unlike you I had no problem with my battery. Windows could recognize it and tell how much of charge was remaining.

P.S.: ***** you Windows 10
  • TrickedoutTech
    TrickedoutTech Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    For anyone with a Processor that seems to be locked at something like 30% @ 0.78Ghz or similar numbers then follow the instructions below. 

Here's what worked for me:

Follow the instructions at your own risk.!

Start

- Boot into recovery console from install medium

- Type "Regedit"

- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm and set the 'Start' value to '4' (=> disabled).

- Leave Regedit

Stop

I personally have repaired a couple of Acer VN7-792G & one V5-561P by applying Reg change above. 

Hope this helps anyone new searching for this fix. 

• Fautino_PT
    Fautino_PT Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 29
    Options

I SOLVED IT!!! In my case, and after reading this forum, I managed to detect the problem with my ACER! I noticed that the fan did not spin during Windows startup. I replaced it and, MAGIC, the CPU and frequency reached maximum levels of 100%!! Thank you guys for your help. Without you I wouldn't have gotten there.

• Fautino_PT
    Fautino_PT Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

I SOLVED IT!!! In my case, and after reading this forum, I managed to detect the problem with my ACER! I noticed that the fan did not spin during Windows startup. I replaced it and, MAGIC, the CPU and frequency reached maximum levels of 100%!! Thank you guys for your help. Without you I wouldn't have gotten there.