Questions from New Owner of Chromebook 11 (CB3-131)

CocOvation
CocOvation Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I purchased a refurbished Chromebook 11 from Living Social.  I tried contacting support, but got a message that my Chromebook is out of warranty, so I thought I would ask my questions here instead.

1. Can I connect a CD/DVD drive to my Chromebook?  If yes, do I need to install any special drivers for it?
  2. Is there a way to transfer files between my Chromebook and my Android smartphone using either Bluetooth or a USB cable?  I tried both but neither worked.  I was able to pair my handset with the Chromebook but not transfer files.  When I connected my smartphone to the Chromebook using the data cable, neither one recognized the other.
  3. Is there a way to get the Chromebook to read or save files to a USB drive, and if so, how?  When I connected a stick drive, the Chromebook didn't recognize it.  In fact, the only external memory my Chromebook has so far recognized was when I inserted a memory card in the card reader.
  4. Is there any way I can run Android applications on my Chromebook, and if yes, how?
  5. If I wanted to use my Chromebook as a monitor for another computer, such as a Macintosh or Windows desktop, could I, and if yes, how?
Thank you!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Hi CocOvation

1) Yes, to read CD or DVD media, plug in the external optical drive to your Chromebook via USB. Insert a disk that has regular computer files. Then, access the files in the same way you would access your local files by clicking Launcher > Files. 

2) Yes, you can use a USB cable and plug in your Android device. You will see it pop up inside Chrome OS's file manager as removable storage, and you will have access to the full directory of folders you canbrowse on a non-rooted device.

3) Yes, you can transfer your files manually to your Flash Drive or Memory card using yourChromebook. 1. Open the Files app by clicking on the icon. 2.When connected to your Chromebook, the device appears as a folder in the left navigation panel of the Files app. 

4) No, Google has not yet released update for this model Chromebook 11 (CB3-131). You can download and use Android apps on your Chromebook using the Google Play Store app. Currently, the Google Play Store is only available for some Chromebooks.

5) No, you cannot use Chromebook as an external display. The Chromebooks include ports that allow you to connect them to a computer monitor, television, or other display.   

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• CocOvation
    CocOvation Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for your help.  Concerning 2 & 3:

2.  I had tried using both the USB cable and Bluetooth to so that my Chromebook could read files on my Android phone, but neither method has worked.  I am able to pair my Chromebook with my Android phone, but when I try to send files from my phone to my Chromebook, my phone says the sending fails.

Concerning the data cable, when I plug my smartphone into either USB port, nothing happens, either on my Chromebook or on my phone.  Nothing shows up in the Files menu on my Chromebook.  Concerning my smartphone, normally when I connect it to a computer using the data cable, something pops up on my smartphone giving me the option to choose how I want to handle the connection between my computer and smartphone (I'm attaching a photograph of the options my smartphone gives me).  However, when I connect my smartphone to my Chromebook, nothing pops up on my smartphone's screen.  What should I do?

3.  I tried two different flash drives in my Chromebook.  One the Chromebook was able to read and access, but not the other one.  Do you know what may be the cause?

Thank you!