pixelated videos

Options
golden1s
golden1s Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
i can not watch videos, very pixelated whether its on FB, youtube, emails....none are clear altho sound is fine. I have a chromebook CB5 311
Anyone else ever have this problem>

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ golden1s

In order to fix the pixelization problem on Chromebooks with the Tegra K1 chip, we will have to disable the automatic hardware acceleration on Chrome OS.

To do that, open Chrome, paste this address on the address bar and press enter –
    chrome://flags/#disable-accelerated-video-decode

A list of settings will open up, with the ‘Hardware-accelerated video decode’ setting highlighted, as you can see from the screenshot above. Click ‘disable’ to disable hardware acceleration.

You will then be prompted to restart your Chromebook in order to apply the required changes. Once that is done, you should never encounter the problem of pixelated videos on your Chromebook.

If you are experiencing stuttering playing HD videos without hardware acceleration, all you have to do is download this extension from the store, and let it install on Chrome. This extension, called h264ify, automatically forces Youtube videos to be H.264 encoded, so that they can be handled more easily by your hardware.

When you click on the given download link, you will be taken to this page on the Chrome Web Store.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ golden1s

In order to fix the pixelization problem on Chromebooks with the Tegra K1 chip, we will have to disable the automatic hardware acceleration on Chrome OS.

To do that, open Chrome, paste this address on the address bar and press enter –
    chrome://flags/#disable-accelerated-video-decode

A list of settings will open up, with the ‘Hardware-accelerated video decode’ setting highlighted, as you can see from the screenshot above. Click ‘disable’ to disable hardware acceleration.

You will then be prompted to restart your Chromebook in order to apply the required changes. Once that is done, you should never encounter the problem of pixelated videos on your Chromebook.

If you are experiencing stuttering playing HD videos without hardware acceleration, all you have to do is download this extension from the store, and let it install on Chrome. This extension, called h264ify, automatically forces Youtube videos to be H.264 encoded, so that they can be handled more easily by your hardware.

When you click on the given download link, you will be taken to this page on the Chrome Web Store.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• MeCDTaylor
    MeCDTaylor Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a new Aspire 3 that has the pixelated Videos, do I do the same thing to correct or send it back.  Only had it for 2 weeks and did this week one.