Acer laptop shuts off randomly on battery power, even when charged

RockySparky
RockySparky Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited February 2018 in Aspire Laptops
This issue seems to come up a lot with Acer laptops, so I wanted to share what I found:

I opened up the bottom of my Aspire E15.  I found this little button which seems to be an interlock that shuts off the laptop when the bottom access cover is removed.  You can see the button in the middle of this picture.  It's the small switch inside the square hole. 

The inside of the bottom access cover has a square post that looks like it's supposed to keep the button pressed.  Here's what the square post looks like.

This Youtube video isn't mine, but it shows how to open and replace the back access cover, and you can see the little button.  The Youtube video is called "Acer Aspire E15 E5 575 521F RAM/Memory upgrade (E5-574-53QS)" 

I suppose I could add tape or something so the post presses more on the button, but I didn't add tape to the post. I simply opened and reclosed the back access cover which seems to have fixed the problem.  If the problem returns, I will add some tape so that the square post pushes a little more on the button, but it's been 10 days now, and so far my laptop is working fine.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Thanks for posting pix of your solution. I've attached a side-by-side of your two pix with the mainboard button and cover post highlighted in case others want to open up theirs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gbcs2014
    gbcs2014 Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

Thanks a lot RockySparky, my battery issue is fixed. the laptop stays ON now on Battery power but the keyboard still does not work.
    Please help me out. Laptop Model: Aspire F5-573-75mp.
    Keyboard does not work but the touchpad and power button work.

• JackE
    @gbcs2014   If you have done so already, uninstall the KB driver from Device Mgr. Reboot and let Windows try to re-detect the KB and re-install its driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gbcs2014

Tinkerer

Thanks but already done that several times and no luck.
  • Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hey gbcs, did you try opening up the laptop and checking the ribbon or wires that connect from the keyboard? Probably unplugging and replugging it? 
    When was the last time it worked and what task were you performing when did it stopped working? 
  • JackE
    @gbcs2014   OK. Try to reseat the mainboard KB connector a half dozen or so times to clean the contacts. If still no joy, replace the KB. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gbcs2014

Tinkerer

Thanks i will try that.
  • enigmatt
    enigmatt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Big thanks RockySparky!
    I have an Aspire E5-575G and I've been struggling to figure out why I couldn't move it on battery power without sudden power loss.
    After multiple tries at disassembling, reassembling, disconnecting and reconnecting the original battery, and even replacing the battery, I finally found your post.  Why would Acer add a switch on the motherboard that disconnects only the battery, but not the external power supply?  (Not that I would recommend disassembling electronics while plugged into the wall, mind you)  I can see the objective of protecting the hardware in case you forgot to power down the laptop, but you would think that they could have noted it *somewhere* (like the access panel itself, or the user's manual).  Is this a common practice amongst laptop manufacturers?  When you search for "laptop kill switch" the results are predominantly surveillance-oriented rather than mechanical unfortunately.
    Thanks to your post I have not only avoided replacing this laptop prematurely, but I've also found yet another use for punctured bicycle tubes.  A single layer of said tubing (700x25 thin 1/4" x 1/4") super-glued to the "Memory Compartment" panel (as the manual refers to it) right on the tip of the kill-switch depressor and my laptop is once again portable.
  • zerofigures
    zerofigures Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hey, I tried pressing the button but it didnt resolve my issue. Im so disgusted with my new paper weight. Anyone know of another solution/work around. The computer is just over a year old, was hoping acer would step up and do whats right. 
  • JackE
    @zerofigures It might help to tell us which button you pressed, which previous post suggested that you try this, and if you have the same model number in that previous post? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• zerofigures
    zerofigures Member Posts: 4 New User
    @JackE Im def new here. I took off the back and pressed the interlock button, then put double side tape on the square post on the back of the battery cover to make sure its depressed. I have the Aspire E15.
  • JackE
    @zerofigures Then your normally open interlock might be staying open or highly resistive even when depressed. This sometimes happens due to corrosion on the switch's spring-loaded contact points. I suggest pulling it apart again and try repeatedly & rapidly tapping the switch for a minute or two to try to clean these internal points up.  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Mosab
    Mosab Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited July 2021
    This issue seems to come up a lot with Acer laptops, so I wanted to share what I found:

I opened up the bottom of my Aspire E15.  I found this little button which seems to be an interlock that shuts off the laptop when the bottom access cover is removed.  You can see the button in the middle of this picture.  It's the small switch inside the square hole. 

The inside of the bottom access cover has a square post that looks like it's supposed to keep the button pressed.  Here's what the square post looks like.

This Youtube video isn't mine, but it shows how to open and replace the back access cover, and you can see the little button.  The Youtube video is called "Acer Aspire E15 E5 575 521F RAM/Memory upgrade (E5-574-53QS)" 

I suppose I could add tape or something so the post presses more on the button, but I didn't add tape to the post. I simply opened and reclosed the back access cover which seems to have fixed the problem.  If the problem returns, I will add some tape so that the square post pushes a little more on the button, but it's been 10 days now, and so far my laptop is working fine.
    wow.. thank you sooooooo much this helped a lot, i couldn't take the laptop anywhere because if i move it ever so slightly it shuts down...
    now after i added some tape it's back to normal.