I tried to update the driver and to install the old cd, but it didn't work how to link the scanner

Options
alaricmorgan
alaricmorgan Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hi all, I'm trying to connect my old scanner Acer (it's from 2001) to my new pc Hp, I don't know what model it is, I only found this code S2W 3300U, while I attached the info about my pc. at the beginning the pc recognized it as "unknown device", I tried to update the driver and to install the old cd, but it didn't work. Today I bought a new cable and it told me "flatbed scanner", instead of "unknown" but still I couldn't use it even trying to update or search drivers. How can I do?
Thanks
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    I believe the latest drivers for that scanner were for Windows XP, though they could apparently be installed in Window 7 using compatibility mode. There is a chance they'll work with newer OSes, but likely you'll have to install in compatibility mode for XP. Here is a site that says it has them available for download, but I have no idea if they're actually good.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alaricmorgan
    Options
    Ok, I'll try. I have Windows 10. thanks
  • billsey
    Options
    Let us know how it works out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • alaricmorgan
    Options
    No, I tried but it doesn't work the same. it says me to check if the cable is fix correctly and if the scanner is linked to the electric socker
  • billsey
    Options
    That's too bad... Likely it's just not going to work then. The last time I bought a scanner it was at a thrift store and was a new enough one to work well. These days most of the scanners are built into the all-in-one printers.
  • alaricmorgan
    Options
    I guess I'll have to buy a new one that is compatible, I hope to find only the scanner cause I just have a printer that is almost new.
    I also tried to contact the HP forum (since my pc is an HP and it's the problem, since with the old one the scanner worked), but they only told me to contac Acer, very kind people, ah ah!
    thanks the same for the help
    bye
  • Shoun
    Shoun Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a similar problem with an Acer 6678-OWE scanner. It appears that the serial no. is not recognised on the website so I cannot get into the Acer Support proper. Speaking to a support engineer was also of no assistance. Surely the drivers should be available from Acer???
  • billsey
    Options
    I don't believe they did drivers after Windows XP for that model, but you ought to be able to install them drivers in compatibility mode. Have you tried?
  • Frankiaan
    Frankiaan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Having trouble with my scanner since a last Windows update (October 2022), I am amazed by the problems discussed here. My old scanner Acer 640UT (2001) too is not recognized by Acer. My very useful scanning software (Vuescan, Canada) is destroyed by Microsoft and does not return after a system repair...

I downloaded some free scanning programs but they cannot find the scanner anymore. I do observe that they try to use the BenQ scannerdriver for my scanner, but it doesn't work.

The only thing that works is buying a new version of the Vuescan software... (which is not cheap...)

• billsey
    Options

What shows up in Device Manager when you plug the scanner in? That scanner is way too old for me to get detailed specs on it, I assume it connects via a USB port? Have you tried the scanning software built into Windows (Windows Fax and Scan)?