Predator Helios 300 Screen Tearing even WITH V-Sync

William_G
William_G Member Posts: 16 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have experienced a very large amount of screen tearing in every single application that uses the GTX 1060. I have gone into the Nvidia control panel and turned on Vertical Sync for all applications. Even after doing this, I experience screen tearing around every 2-5 seconds in any application that uses the GPU. I simply want a way to fix this, for it is EXTREMELY annoying.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited January 2018
    V-sync can't remove screen tearing completely. Even if for a fraction of a second your fps goes below or above 60fps, you will experience tearing. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• William_G
    Yes, I understand that, but it is very frequent. It has only started happening in the past week.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    That implies a change in the system like a driver update, or possibly an application pulling the GPU down.  Check to see what activated in the Game Bar and the GeForce Experience.

If your experiencing tearing with V-Sync enable it means the GPU is not able to render frames at the display panels frequency  60Hz, 75Hz etc. and likely locking the FPS to 30.   You can opt for Fast Sync in the NVidia Control panel, equally it's really only effective if the GPU Is rendering frames faster than the displays maximum frequency.

Q-6
  • William_G
    How would I check for those things pulling my GPU down?
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited January 2018
    I suggest this to try:

1. Clean install NVIDIA drivers (Choosing the custom options, selecting clean install, and unchecking GeForce experience so it doesn't install, don't touch driver settings), reboot PC and try game.
    2. Reset game settings, relaunch game and try it again.
    3. Go to Device Manager and update your Intel Drivers
    4. Try removing any type of settings you have enabled via Intel XTU or Throttlestop
    5. Check and see any programs you might have installed in the past week that could have caused these types of performance issues (would be a program running in the background). You can go to Settings > Apps > sort by install date.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Queen6
    edited January 2018
    William_G said:
    How would I check for those things pulling my GPU down?

Try playing a game in a window, you can then look at the GPU activity in Task Manager and see what processes the CPU is running.  How about the GPU temperature is that at reasonable levels?  The advice above is also very solid and well worth following, try step by step and see if the tearing ceases.

Q-6
  • William_G
    I suggest this to try:

1. Clean install NVIDIA drivers (Choosing the custom options, selecting clean install, and unchecking GeForce experience so it doesn't install, don't touch driver settings), reboot PC and try game.
    2. Reset game settings, relaunch game and try it again.
    3. Go to Device Manager and update your Intel Drivers
    4. Try removing any type of settings you have enabled via Intel XTU or Throttlestop
    5. Check and see any programs you might have installed in the past week that could have caused these types of performance issues (would be a program running in the background). You can go to Settings > Apps > sort by install date.

Skelo
    How do I execute step 4? Also, I have done 1-3 and so far nothing has helped.
  • William_G
    I have now executed all of your suggestions except step 4, including Queen6's suggestion, and none have helped.
  • Have you tried just disabling VSync? VSync is the only tool that stops screen tearing, there is nothing else that can be done.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Queen6
    William_G said:
    I have now executed all of your suggestions except step 4, including Queen6's suggestion, and none have helped.

Think you need to get "everything" back to default settings, equally applicate this is easier said than done.  If you have an external drive you can backup the current C drive and restore the notebook.  This should at least prove the hardware and you can reload the backup image as needs be.

Q-6
  • William_G
    I have realized that for some reason vsync only works if vsync is on in the games' settings, and most of my games don't give that option, so I suppose I will have to either deal with it or just use integrated graphics for lighter games.
  • William_G
    Have you tried just disabling VSync? VSync is the only tool that stops screen tearing, there is nothing else that can be done.

Skelo
    Yes, I have attempted disabling vsync, but to no avail.
  • Queen6
    William_G said:
    I have realized that for some reason vsync only works if vsync is on in the games' settings, and most of my games don't give that option, so I suppose I will have to either deal with it or just use integrated graphics for lighter games.

Game to game, application etc. equally I don't globally enforce Vsync, either in the game or in the one case where the games own Vsync is problematic I specify that one game in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Still doesn't explain the sudden change in behaviour.  You should be able set Vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel and it take effect.  Uninstalling 100% of the Nvidia driver settings can be tricky. You could do the opposite and reinstall Nvidia Geforce Experience and have it update/reinstall.  I do know that when my own G9 793 updates it wipes out all my individual settings in the Nvidia Control Panel as the App removes and installs the latest driver.

Q-6