Is there a wall outlet that will fast charge my chromebook 15 touch with a standard usb c cable

Options
rulviebaby
rulviebaby Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have an outlet already with usb ports - but only 2.1 amps - the Chromebook calls it a low power charger and that doesn't cut it except overnight.

I'm willing to place a new outlet in the wall.  I don't want to use the 45w charger that came with my chromebook 15 touch.  It's too bulky/untidy in the environment that I want to use it in.  I envision a product that I could plug a 6 ft  usb-a to usb-c cable into. 

Something that plugged into a standard 15 amp wall outlet and accepted a usb-a to usb-c cable would be a second choice.

If I could run a standard usb-a to usb-c cable from the outlet or other device at sufficient wattage would the power draw overheat the wires?  If so, can you buy a heavier cable - I noted that the usb part of the supplied charger has a thicker cable.

Thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options
    Nope, standard USB specs call for no more than 2.1A with USB 3.0 and less with USB 2.0. This means USB cables are designed knowing they'll never have to pull more current through them and USB ports are designed similarly. To fast charge you need to use the 45W supply and it's higher current. You might be able to find a wall wart 45W supply, just make sure you match the connector size and voltage with the genuine charger.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.