Max Temperature of the Nvidia 630M in a V3-571G?

STOXfOrE
STOXfOrE Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I have an Aspire V3-571G (NXRZKEK001). It has a Nvidia 630M GPU (N13P-GL-A1) the laptop.

I would like to know the max temperature that the GPU can handle please?

I contacted Nvidia first, they wouldn't know since they only provide the basic GPU/chipset, and that it would be Acer who knows.

I know that the general recommendation is to keep it below 90C. But i presume that it can get up to 105C-115C and still be okay.

I want to know so that if it does get hot, i know how close i am to frying the GPU.

Thanks
Bobby

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,881 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    You will never fry the GPU, if you do games allot then buy a good 'notebook tablet cooler' and use that when playing games, as knowing the temp will make no difference. I've update my V3-571G OEM CPU i7-3610QM to an i7-3740XM CPU that uses the GT640M GPU and the system runs allot hotter but, I use a 'notebook tablet cooler' from Zalman and its excellent and works perfectly and never overheats! 
  • STOXfOrE
    STOXfOrE Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

StevenGen said:
    You will never fry the GPU, if you do games allot then buy a good 'notebook tablet cooler' and use that when playing games, as knowing the temp will make no difference. I've update my V3-571G OEM CPU i7-3610QM to an i7-3740XM CPU that uses the GT640M GPU and the system runs allot hotter but, I use a 'notebook tablet cooler' from Zalman and its excellent and works perfectly and never overheats! 
    Incorrect.

In the past i've had two HP laptops and fried the graphics.

Secondly, of course knowing the temperatures makes a huge difference - but i'm an electronics engineer. Maybe it won't make a difference to the average Joe.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Thermal protection typically comes in at 100°C. Though I'd expect it wouldn't harm the chips to run hotter, I believe it'll shut down there for safety purposes. 90°C is fine, I expect it will stabilize near there when being very active.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,881 Trailblazer
    edited December 2019
    STOXfOrE said:
    StevenGen said:
    Incorrect.

In the past i've had two HP laptops and fried the graphics.

Secondly, of course knowing the temperatures makes a huge difference - but i'm an electronics engineer. Maybe it won't make a difference to the average Joe.

Well that can happen if you push the boundaries but (you should know better, being an electronics engineer) as I am also and I've never ever fried the CPU and/or GPU's on any laptop and/or computser! But and to do a basic service, you have to first either, change the CPU fan (if its faulty or weak) as the V3-571G is at 7 years old, also, repaste the CPU and GPU (recomended 'thermal grizzly' Kryonaut paste) clean the vents and fan, for basic maintenance! But and what I've done, is gone a step further, which is shown and described, in this excellent video, if you want to go a 'one step above' with your V3-531G, to stop it overheating with intensive processing and/or gaming, with either the i5's and especially with the i7-3610QM and GF GT 640M or higher GPU's, so that its keept cool and will not overheat on a 'stand alone' basis. Have a look at this excelent mod that "Tomas Michal" did 4 years ago to his V3-531G which only had an i5-3230M with, Ram/Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9S3/8GB, GPU/nVIDIA GeForce GT 630M. 

Warrning:
    T
    his should "ONLY BE DONE" by an experienced technitian as I don't take any responsibility and/or is this recommended by Acer, so if you do this mod, its your responsibility, have a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvCLzUcvUa4 cheers and hope this helps!