is the usb-c port on my acer E5-553G-F79R a thunderbolt 3 port?

DakNaitRaises
DakNaitRaises Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2023 in 2018 Archives
I'm planning to buy an external gpu casing for my laptop because I want to play newer titles such as just cause 3 & watch dogs 2

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    I don't think an external GPU to the mini PCI-e port to which the Wi-Fi card is connected is going to work. Download HWiNFO and check what generation and how many lanes the mini pcie port has. You should have at least 1x lanes gen 3.0(mini pcie express usually has only 1 pcie lane). Any less than that, the GPU's will be reduced to a point, where the GPU that currently is in your laptop will perform better. It also depends on what games or applications you are trying to run. The more GPU intensive the task is the more the performance loss will be.

These graphs show how the performance of GTX 980 changes, when connected to different lanes. Mind that x4 gen 1.1 is eqivalent to x1 gen 3.0. So if you have something like this the bandwidth will be 4 times less than x4 gen 1.1(or x1 3.0) and I don't think there will be any point connecting an external GPU.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    The USB type C on your device isn't thunderbolt and external GPUs won't work on it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• DakNaitRaises
    DakNaitRaises Member Posts: 2 New User
    ven98 said:
    The USB type C on your device isn't thunderbolt and external GPUs won't work on it.
    So even mPCIE eGPUs won't work on my laptop?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    I don't think an external GPU to the mini PCI-e port to which the Wi-Fi card is connected is going to work. Download HWiNFO and check what generation and how many lanes the mini pcie port has. You should have at least 1x lanes gen 3.0(mini pcie express usually has only 1 pcie lane). Any less than that, the GPU's will be reduced to a point, where the GPU that currently is in your laptop will perform better. It also depends on what games or applications you are trying to run. The more GPU intensive the task is the more the performance loss will be.

These graphs show how the performance of GTX 980 changes, when connected to different lanes. Mind that x4 gen 1.1 is eqivalent to x1 gen 3.0. So if you have something like this the bandwidth will be 4 times less than x4 gen 1.1(or x1 3.0) and I don't think there will be any point connecting an external GPU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system