Nitro AN515-51 noisy fan

Options
keet
keet Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've had this Nitro AN515-51 for a couple of months and notice the fan always has a rattling/buzzing sound. I've read some other reviews and gripes about similar models having noisy fans and it was a design flaw. Does anyone else with my particular model notice an light rattling fan even at low speed? I'm very sound sensitive and it's beginning to drive me nuts. I've noticed Acer support is about as helpful as dialing the wrong number....thought I'd try here.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Has the fan buzzing noise always been there or it appeared recently? If it appeared recently, then the fan is getting worn out. The problem could be that the bearing has gone bad, or the plastic has been deformated, which can make it rub on the sides of the fan enclosure/case.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• keet
    Options
    ven98 the laptop is 2 months old, I believe it has been noisy since day one. Sometimes I can mentally block of the sound, other times not so much and it's all I can hear.  I'm tempted to open it up but I can't find the support manuals either (if you happen to know where I can get those it would be much appreciated). I've had fans go before - the sounds vary unless they are completely shot or off-balanced. I'm not sure what to make of this. If it is just the way the fans sound in this model or if there is an actual hardware issue. I hate to ship it in because I have a strong feeling I will be left without it for months and they will send it back as is.
  • ven98
    Options
    As it is there from day one, then it is a design issue or manufacturing fault.

Before opening the laptop, you should open the RAM door and remove the RAM modules as well as the HDD door and remove the HDD.

The next step is to remove the lower case, follow the instructions: BAWARE OF VOID STICKERS. IF PRESENT, REMOVING OR DAMAGING THEM RESULTS IN WARRANTY VOID.

Fan 1 module Removal

Fan 2 module removal

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Options
    Hope you find a way to fix the problem.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• keet
    Options
    Thanks ven98 I'll give this a go. A silly question - once I take everything apart, will I still be able to power the unit to listen to the fans? I think I'd like to power each fan separately to see if one makes more noise than the other.
  • ven98
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You won't be able to power it on. There are switches that need to be pressed(usually inside in a screwhole, can be more than one). You may find the voltage rating of the fan by doing some research or it might be written on the fan's sticker. Once you find it out, you can use a DC battery(if the voltage of the fan is higher than 1.5V, use 2 batteries connected in series to increase the voltage to 3V or purchase AC power adapter, which allows different voltages) to power on the fan. Just make sure the voltage doesn't go much higher, as I don't know how sensitive the motor is and you can actually kill it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• marksj93
    marksj93 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi all,

Having a similar problem, a grinding noise on the gpu fan when its running, wondering if its the bearing going. Any idea where I could get a replacement fan from?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    marksj93 said:
    Hi all,

Having a similar problem, a grinding noise on the gpu fan when its running, wondering if its the bearing going. Any idea where I could get a replacement fan from?

Please start a new Topic of your own for your question and I will be happy to give you an answer

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★