Install m2 SSD on Aspire 5 A515-51G

Answers

• Bannko
    Bannko Member Posts: 1 New User
    @Milindj install the latest version of BIOS from Acer driver download page. 

Anyway i just installed the ADATA XPG GAMMIX 256GB S11 Pro on my Acer Aspire 5 and i am very satisfied with the price|performance of this m2 SSD. R/W Speed of a Samsung 960/970 EVO and much cheaper. 
  • Ap6yZzz
    Ap6yZzz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi, I using Acer aspire 5 a515 51g 599e. Which kind of memory I can install on ssd m2? Form factor and interface? And What is the maximum amount of this drive I can install? Sorry from my english 
  • @Ap6yZzz Check here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-A515-51G/61361
    This model also supports ssds nvme gen3x2.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ap6yZzz
    Ap6yZzz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

@Ap6yZzz Check here: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-A515-51G/61361
    This model also supports ssds nvme gen3x2.
    Thank you very much for your help in this matter. I searched for the necessary information for a very long time.
  • You are Welcome @Ap6yZzz

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TimD62
    TimD62 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just purchased the Acer A515-43-R19L last week.
    Great Laptop for the money Acer!!!
    I can confirm that the WD Black SN750 500GB M2 works perfectly and is lightning fast!

I simply booted into windows to activate the OS that shipped with the laptop and flashed the bios to the latest one. It was one behind.
    Shut her down, disconnected power, opened the back cover, disconnected the battery, pulled the stock M2 and installed the new WD 500GB M2. This drive is lightning fast! I also added 4GB of memory below.

Note: The Samsung 860 500 GB M2 will not be detected by the bios (even the latest). I tried but had to return it. I was going to try the 870 but it has a much higher power draw of 10W (Burst mode).

I downloaded the Windows 10 installation media and loaded windows.
    No key is needed following the steps above.
    I then downloaded drivers from AMD and Acer.
    Windows 10 installation media (Free)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../windows10

WD - Black SN750 500GB M2 from Best Buy $99.00
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-b...Id=6338994

I also added an extra 4 GB memory from ebay. It's an exact match to the 4GB already installed. $14.99
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-pull...2749.l2649
  • MMSingh
    MMSingh Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Just to reconfirm that, which SSD (type) i have to buy 1st says "M.2 2280" and 2nd is "NAND NVMe PCIe M.2"  (Pins are different, plz refer image)

also, if Acer A515-51G supports "both the types" than which one is more faster ?

Thx
  • thunderresistant
    thunderresistant Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    MMSingh said:
    Just to reconfirm that, which SSD (type) i have to buy 1st says "M.2 2280" and 2nd is "NAND NVMe PCIe M.2"  (Pins are different, plz refer image)

also, if Acer A515-51G supports "both the types" than which one is more faster ?

Thx
    Laptop supports M.2 2280, both NVMe and SATA:
    i.e. Samsung 970 Evo, Evo Plus, Pro, Intel 660p etc as for M.2 NVMe, and any M.2 SATA drives, i.e. Samsung 860 Evo, WD, etc.
    M.2 is just the form factor, 2280 is the dimension for width (2.2 cm) and length (8 cm) of the drive.
    Of course, NVMe is way faster than SATA, though it's noticeable in specific tasks, and it also depends on your senses, like i had a standard M.2 SATA drive from the factory and after installing 970 Evo it's quicker and snappier for me even in day to day tasks.
    Also keep in mind, NVMe drive will be capped at PCie x2 instead of native x4, which is the norm for most laptops, thus only capable of reaching half the advertised speeds, though still much faster than SATA. 
  • MMSingh
    MMSingh Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

MMSingh said:

Thx
    Laptop supports M.2 2280, both NVMe and SATA:
    i.e. Samsung 970 Evo, Evo Plus, Pro, Intel 660p etc as for M.2 NVMe, and any M.2 SATA drives, i.e. Samsung 860 Evo, WD, etc.
    M.2 is just the form factor, 2280 is the dimension for width (2.2 cm) and length (8 cm) of the drive.
    Of course, NVMe is way faster than SATA, though it's noticeable in specific tasks, and it also depends on your senses, like i had a standard M.2 SATA drive from the factory and after installing 970 Evo it's quicker and snappier for me even in day to day tasks.
    Also keep in mind, NVMe drive will be capped at PCie x2 instead of native x4, which is the norm for most laptops, thus only capable of reaching half the advertised speeds, though still much faster than SATA. 
    Thanks so much, really helpful for me, (worst part is no real answer from Acer support so far)

• thunderresistant

Tinkerer

I understand your concern, though i was in the same situation.
    Thanks to this forum, i received a clear explanation what i can install in the laptop, so you can be pretty sure about it!
    Acer support isn't very helping, i had various requests and they were answering differently to the same question, so  =)
  • Shivkmal
    Shivkmal Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    edited October 2019
    So 500 Gb SSDs are not compatible with Acer A515-51G laptop? I was thinking about getting a Crucial P1 Nvme ssd (500gb) :( now confused. 
    In a youtube video I saw a guy installing 500GB WD Blue SSD on his A515-51G. There wouldn't be a problem if Amazon provided replacement with SSDs, all are worried because a wrong step and the money catches fire.
  • No. It should work yes. Even other users have already installed a 512gb ssd m2 on this notebook model.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• n77nikhil
    n77nikhil Member Posts: 58 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Shivkmal said:
    So 500 Gb SSDs are not compatible with Acer A515-51G laptop? I was thinking about getting a Crucial P1 Nvme ssd (500gb) :( now confused. 
    In a youtube video I saw a guy installing 500GB WD Blue SSD on his A515-51G. There wouldn't be a problem if Amazon provided replacement with SSDs, all are worried because a wrong step and the money catches fire.
    No one has reported a m.2 NVME SSD above 250gb working here m.2 SATA SSD will work which is the 500GB WD Blue you are talking about.
  • thunderresistant

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    "So 500 Gb SSDs are not compatible with Acer A515-51G laptop? I was thinking about getting a Crucial P1 Nvme ssd (500gb) :( now confused."
    Who told you that??

"No one has reported a m.2 NVME SSD above 250gb working here"
    I report officially, it works.
    970 Evo Plus 500GB, works like a charm, plan of replacing it either whith 1 or even 2TB.
    It's not RAM that can be installed no more than certain amount, your money is the limit only, capacity any.
    Acer support is ludicrous, they don't even know as they never tested more than 250 and they keep sticking to this capacity.

• @thunderresistant I had already answered that this model accepts a 512gb nvme ssd, see: egydiocoelho said: No. It should work yes. Even other users have already installed a 512gb ssd m2 on this notebook model.
    The problem is that the service manual shows that acer has tested this model with ssds nvme up to 256gb. This is why many users only show this information.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• thunderresistant

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    @thunderresistant I had already answered that this model accepts a 512gb nvme ssd, see:
    No. It should work yes. Even other users have already installed a 512gb ssd m2 on this notebook model.
    You have answered, but didn't prove it yourself.
    You just talk about someone else, but have you installed it yourself? No.
    So why commenting me?
    I can stand for my words, as i have it installed, that's why i guarantee it myself and can prove it.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    @thunderresistant Please be a little more respectful. @egydiocoelho is the top contributor to this Forum, he has over 10,000 posts and has answered literally 1000's of questions successfully.and he is our most respected member giving of his time freely to help others. 

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Shivkmal
    No. It should work yes. Even other users have already installed a 512gb ssd m2 on this notebook model.
    Thank you very much for this information! I was really worried and curious about this.
  • Shivkmal
    "So 500 Gb SSDs are not compatible with Acer A515-51G laptop? I was thinking about getting a Crucial P1 Nvme ssd (500gb) :( now confused."
    Who told you that??

"No one has reported a m.2 NVME SSD above 250gb working here"
    I report officially, it works.
    970 Evo Plus 500GB, works like a charm, plan of replacing it either whith 1 or even 2TB.
    It's not RAM that can be installed no more than certain amount, your money is the limit only, capacity any.
    Acer support is ludicrous, they don't even know as they never tested more than 250 and they keep sticking to this capacity.

Thank you very much for the info! CHEERS!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited October 2019
    @thunderresistantI believe you had not read my answer completely. See what I said here "I had already answered that this model accepts a 512gb nvme ssd, see" and here "The problem is that the service manual shows that acer has tested this model with ssds nvme up to 256gb. This is why many users only show this information". However, your feedback is very valuable to the community as it proves that the a515-51g model actually supports a 512gb ssd nvme support.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

This discussion has been closed.