Install m2 SSD on Aspire 5 A515-51G

Answers

• arshad_nehal
    arshad_nehal Member Posts: 3 New User
    R$ 107,12  42%OFF | KingSpec SSD M.2 120gb 240gb 512gb M2 SSD pcie NVMe 128GB 256GB 2280 PCIE SSD M.2 HDD PCIe Internal Hard Drive For Laptop MSI
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/3QCdYbq
    I bought this ssd.  Just plug the device.
    I run the diskgenius and didnd find anything.
    Do I  have to change something in the bios?
    This piece is nvme but I don't know the generation.
    Please some .arshad_nehal said:
    My model is Acer aspire A515-51G-58GJ
    I am planning to upgrade to M2 nvme SSD 

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32924901377.html

Will it work in my laptop
    My serial no is MXGT1SI001..
    PLEASE REPLY IF ANYONE WITH SAME MODEL HAS INSTALLED IT
    Yes it will support i myself have installed and its working fine read speed is 1600 and write speed is 1080 MB/S

And to all those who have confusion 
    The laptop m2 sloy is M keyed 

And so it support both sata 3 and NVMe interface (trial and tested) but the nvme ssd is supported upto 2 lanes so you may see reduce in speed .
    And this is valid on all acer aspire A515-51G models
    Only thing you have to do is go to manage on right clicking my compiter and then to disk management and there you will see the ssd as unallocated just click on it and allocate it and remember to choose gpt partition if it pointed up
  • januszPL
    januszPL Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

theViking said:
    theViking said:
    Update:

I've installed a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD in my 515-51G-54XH, it was detected straight away by windows 10. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard 10 to clone windows from the original 1TB HDD and just changed the boot device in BOIS. The whole process was quite smooth and the computer is now logged in to windows and ready to go in 10+ seconds compared to ~60seconds. Very happy

I did a speed test and the results are except for the top row quite a bit lower then the test @brummyfan2 did on his 960 EVO. Not sure why, but I'm happy with the performance of the computer anyway.

Hi,
    Go to Device manager and check whether you have Microsoft Standard NVMe driver installed under Storage controllers, if so download Samsung driver, install and see whether the benchmark scores improve.
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evo/

Hi, thanks for the tip, yes had Microsofts driver. Updated to Samsungs and there's an improvement in some of the stats, but still below some of your results for the 960 EVO. Do you have the 120GB version? would size effect the speed? Just being curious...

Hi,
    My 960 is 250GB, yes larger drive will be faster, I have installed a 970Evo and it seems slower than 960 Evo in the same laptop, I don't know the reason for it but will leave it for a while to get settled.

Hello
    I also have the Acer A515-51G-35SP laptop. And I am going to make a little speed up with my machine, so I think that I will buy Samsung 500GB 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 NvMe disk. But @egydiocoelho said that this laptop has only 2 active lanes. What does it mean, is there a ability to reach full speed? Is it worth to change my Samsung 850 Evo SSD M2 to mentioned in this case?

• This limitation is on the hardware itself!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • januszPL

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho
    Ok, you are right. Anyway somebody mentioned to install Samsung NvME drivers, so I was wondering if they can change the way mainboard cooperate with disk.

So if the full potential is not avaliavble, is there sense to buy 970 Evo and use with A515-51?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited June 2019
    The gen3x2 models are still faster than the SATA 3 models! But this difference is only noticeable for an average user when transferring large amounts of files! Some manufacturers release specific drivers for ssds nvme! In my personal opinion, I would seek to buy a ssd m2 2280 sata 3 with 512gb capacity! Now, if in your country both have similar prices, I would opt for the nvme!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • januszPL

Tinkerer

Thank you for reply. I will probably buy 970 EVO 500 GB disk and will accept to use only half of PCI-e 3 x4 NVMe, because prices doesn't vary too much in comparison to PCIe 3x2 models (and didn't see Samsung PICe 3x2 disks).
    Moreover, maybe in future in new laptop I will be able to use the full potential of this 970 Evo disk.
  • I'm not sure if your model accepts a 512gb nvme! I would opt for a 256gb nvme model!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• januszPL

Tinkerer

Oh, thanks for this info, good to know! Did anyone checked this before?

My main goal is to increase my disk capacity to 512 gb (and wanted to increase speed by the way), so if there is possibility that samsung 970 will not work, I am looking for another solution.
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited June 2019
    had a user who was able to successfully install a ssd m2 2280 sata 3 of 512gb in this notebook model!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• januszPL

Tinkerer

ok, good news
    will Samsung 500GB M.2 SATA SSD 860 EVO work?

• Yes, it will probably work!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• januszPL

Tinkerer

@egydiocoelho thanks for help!
  • lihung019
    lihung019 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I want to install M2 SSD with myself but one of the screw hole sealed by the acer warranty sticker (warranty void if seal broken). If i remove it, will warranty void? Can i open the back cover for install?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,083 Trailblazer
    lihung019 said:
    I want to install M2 SSD with myself but one of the screw hole sealed by the acer warranty sticker (warranty void if seal broken). If i remove it, will warranty void? Can i open the back cover for install?
    Hi,
    I would suggest you to contact Acer Support centre for any upgrades, as the screw has a warranty warning sticker, if you remove it, you might void the warranty, if you are not bothered about the warranty, then by all means you can upgrade yourself.
  • mcengizc
    mcengizc Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 2019
    Hi, i know it is said 250 gb is more compatible with this notebook. Why is this restriction? I think it doesn’t make sense. Did anyone try 500 gb on this model. Is Corsair Mp510 480 Gb Nvme compatible with this model?
    sorry about bad english
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited July 2019
    It seems that colleague @brummyfan2 was able to successfully install a ssd m2 2280 sata 3 with 512gb on model a515-51.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Amax2
    Amax2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,please help me,can my acer a515-51g-38eg(intel core i3-6006) work with kingston a1000 240gb?
  • @Amex2Some users have already confirmed that the a515-51g model does support ssd nvme.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Milindj
    Milindj Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello I need Help , https://www.amazon.in/dp/B078WYRR9S/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_y7QxDbG1Q5AVF
    I bought this ssd , and installed it correctly , but It does not shows the disk , in disk management , what should I do , Anyone who can help me ! My both Sata port 0 and 1 are enabled .
  • @Milindj Create the new topic clicking in as a question. Add me putting @.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

This discussion has been closed.