Install m2 SSD on Aspire 5 A515-51G

Answers

• theViking
    theViking Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Update:

I've installed a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD in my 515-51G-54XH, it was detected straight away by windows 10. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard 10 to clone windows from the original 1TB HDD and just changed the boot device in BOIS. The whole process was quite smooth and the computer is now logged in to windows and ready to go in 10+ seconds compared to ~60seconds. Very happy

I did a speed test and the results are except for the top row quite a bit lower then the test @brummyfan2 did on his 960 EVO. Not sure why, but I'm happy with the performance of the computer anyway.

• The samsung 970 evo is a ssd nvme gen3x4, ie a notebook that has 4 active lanes would reach the full potential of ssd! Your notebook model has only 2 active lanes on the bios and so the samsung 970 evo will work at half speed!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,085 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    theViking said:
    Update:

I've installed a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD in my 515-51G-54XH, it was detected straight away by windows 10. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard 10 to clone windows from the original 1TB HDD and just changed the boot device in BOIS. The whole process was quite smooth and the computer is now logged in to windows and ready to go in 10+ seconds compared to ~60seconds. Very happy

I did a speed test and the results are except for the top row quite a bit lower then the test @brummyfan2 did on his 960 EVO. Not sure why, but I'm happy with the performance of the computer anyway.

Hi,
    Go to Device manager and check whether you have Microsoft Standard NVMe driver installed under Storage controllers, if so download Samsung driver, install and see whether the benchmark scores improve.
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evo/

• theViking

Tinkerer

The samsung 970 evo is a ssd nvme gen3x4, ie a notebook that has 4 active lanes would reach the full potential of ssd! Your notebook model has only 2 active lanes on the bios and so the samsung 970 evo will work at half speed!
    Hi, Yes I am aware of this, but was comparing it to the speeds of the 960 Evo in a similar computer that would have the same limitation
  • theViking

Tinkerer

theViking said:
    Update:

Hi,
    Go to Device manager and check whether you have Microsoft Standard NVMe driver installed under Storage controllers, if so download Samsung driver, install and see whether the benchmark scores improve.

Hi, thanks for the tip, yes had Microsofts driver. Updated to Samsungs and there's an improvement in some of the stats, but still below some of your results for the 960 EVO. Do you have the 120GB version? would size effect the speed? Just being curious...

• Weirdos_here
    Weirdos_here Member Posts: 6 New User
    The samsung 970 evo is a ssd nvme gen3x4, ie a notebook that has 4 active lanes would reach the full potential of ssd! Your notebook model has only 2 active lanes on the bios and so the samsung 970 evo will work at half speed!
    Does the m.2 sata (WD green ) works fine or will it also work with reduced. Speed ?
  • Yes, it should work!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • theViking said:
    theViking said:
    Update:

Hi,

Hi, thanks for the tip, yes had Microsofts driver. Updated to Samsungs and there's an improvement in some of the stats, but still below some of your results for the 960 EVO. Do you have the 120GB version? would size effect the speed? Just being curious...

Hi,
    My 960 is 250GB, yes larger drive will be faster, I have installed a 970Evo and it seems slower than 960 Evo in the same laptop, I don't know the reason for it but will leave it for a while to get settled.

• theViking

Tinkerer

Thanks for the feedback @brummyfan2 .Interesting that the newer 970 seems to be slower in this laptop. But regardless it's making my laptop perform really fast so I'm happy anyway :-)  (and it was cheaper to buy then the 960...)
  • Hank13
    Hank13 Member Posts: 2 New User
    @brummyfan2 @theViking

My A515 came with a 256GB SSD in the the 2.5". I added a 256GB 970EVO tonight. I was able to add it to the disk volume, and it's seen in the BIOS. I do however get the following error, and wonder if either of you saw this. 

"PCIe NVMe SSD doesn't support HDD"

I tried it with removing the 2.5", but still said the same. It doesn't see it as a bootable device in the priority list. I just flashed my BIOS to 1.21 as well. The only thing I haven't tried is actually putting an image on it. I'm planning a clean install of 10, so I possibly have to do that first?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Hank13 said:
    @brummyfan2 @theViking

My A515 came with a 256GB SSD in the the 2.5". I added a 256GB 970EVO tonight. I was able to add it to the disk volume, and it's seen in the BIOS. I do however get the following error, and wonder if either of you saw this. 

I tried it with removing the 2.5", but still said the same. It doesn't see it as a bootable device in the priority list. I just flashed my BIOS to 1.21 as well. The only thing I haven't tried is actually putting an image on it. I'm planning a clean install of 10, so I possibly have to do that first?

Hi,
    Yes, it shows the same message in my BIOS as well, I think boot order will be managed by Windows Boot Manager, go ahead, install the image and enjoy.

• Hank13
    Hank13 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Awesome, thank you for the help and quick reply! @brummyfan2
  • Hank13 said:
    Awesome, thank you for the help and quick reply! @brummyfan2
    You are welcome :)
  • theViking

Tinkerer

Hank13 said:
    @brummyfan2 @theViking

Hi. haven't had the chance to check (it's my wife's laptop) but looking at brummyfan2's screenshot I would interpret it as "PCIe NVMe SSD doesn't support HDD password" so it would be something in regards to a password that's not supported, not the actual SSD/HDD

• This means that only ssd does not support creating a password in the set hdd password!
    But hd will still support creating a password for this option:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• This is not a problem in ssd or bios! Indicates only that ssd does not support the creation of a password and this also does not interfere with the ssd boot!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• stoyania
    stoyania Member Posts: 2 New User
    is there a significant real-world difference between the WD A1000 drive and the Samsung 970 drive? The write speed of the WD seems to be amost half slower...
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• stoyania
    stoyania Member Posts: 2 New User
  • Click in liked  ;)

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

This discussion has been closed.