Acer Nitro Spin 5 Fix

Options
anujsoni1997
anujsoni1997 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone,
As you can see this is not a question, rather, this is a guide to fix frame drops on Acer Nitro Spin 5 or Spin 5 or any other laptop having issues with thermals and i7 8550U 15W TDP processors.
what you need is 
1. Cooler Master Mastergel Pro thermal Paste (best one if you want to fix the lags, cause this one has 8W/mk conductivity)
2. Heaven benchmark
3. Real Temps
4. Intel XTU

How do you know you this problem?
1. Run Intel XTU and do a stress test on CPU and then on GPU, you'll see spikes of thermal and power limit throttling.
    Power limit throttling is something which reduces the performance of the CPU causing frame drops in games.
2. You can also see in real temps, after doing sensor test(with prime95) the distance to TJ temps is low which makes it to throttle while gaming.

How do you fix it?
1. heat up the warranty sticker on the bottom panel of the laptop and scratch it half so the sticker is not damaged but you can access the screw beneath it.
2. Open all the screws and access the internals of the laptop (PS:- removing the bottom plate can be a little tricky, you need to use some flat screws and a card to pry it open as it has interlocking type connectors.)
3. unplug the battery but be careful as those flex cable can get damaged so do everything with patience.
4. unplug the Fan power supply which is covered by a black tape.
5. remove the fans and unscrew the heat pipes from the CPU and GPU.
6. clean the Heat pipes, CPU, GPU and GPU memory using the grease remover came with the mastergel pro or you can use any other thermal paste remover.
7. apply Master gel pro and spread it over CPU, GPU and GPU memory with sufficient amount.
8. plug everything back and boot up your laptop.
Congrats you have successfully fixed the thermal throttling issue with the laptop.
Now to fix Power limit throttling.
i7 8550U processor Variable TDP processor, if the heatsink is good enough it can handle TDP of 25W. So using XTU do the changes to change the values to those shown in the screenshot below.
now to check power limit throttling run GPU stress test using Heaven Benchmarks and see if there is any frame dropping. if there is see what's causing the frame-dropping (usually it would be CPU due to power limit throttling) and to fix this just disable turbo boost from real temps and also reset the values from XTU to default 15W TDP. this will make CPU to not go beyond 2 Ghx and you won't have power limit throttling as well as thermal throttling.

Yep, that's it, folks.
I hope this helped! Happy Gaming
PS:- if you somehow mess up the warrant sticker and consider your warranty gone, I personally didn't had any issues with it so probably you wouldn't. My FPS in PUBG before doing this was 30 fps with constant frame drops on 1080p on low settings and after doing this I'm getting constant avg 55 fps on same settings

Answers

• ananthoos007
    ananthoos007 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Bruh, my nitro 5 spin has a i5 8250u cpu. Can you please help me for the same throttling issue?
  • pashokk
    pashokk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Haven't tried refreshing thermal paste but with XTU tweaks (turbo boost switched off totally) nothing changed. It's clear that i7-8550 is powerful but with this cooling system, it throttles down under 0.9 GHz (!!!) during any game. Maybe someone found better hardware solution like improved fans or heatsinks?