My question is this, I have a very Old acer aspire 3100 laptop pc, help

jamie1983collinsjamie1983collins Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2018 in Legacy Windows
My aunt gave it too me and it very out dated. I'm just trying to connect with customer service to see how much it would be to completely upgrade it. Help please?

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE ACE Posts: 29,822 Trailblazer
    Go to crucial dot com for ballpark costs of updating it to 4GB DDR2 RAM and a SSD to replace its very slow HDD. Probably could be done for well under $200. You could probably install Win10 but might not get some of its hardware to function properly. I recommend seriously considering installing one of the more recent Linux GUIs such as LinuxMint Cinammon 18.3 which would probably support all its hardware quite well and has a very nice user-friendly Windows-like interface. Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ
  • XanaduXanadu Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    I'm with JackE on this one. If you don't mind switching operating systems, I too would suggest Linux Mint although Mint Xfce should run even better on an old laptop which probably has Windows XP? on it.

Also, there is no need for Antivirus software on a Linux machine so you save money as well.
  • zeg361zeg361 Member Posts: 3 New User
    JackE is a top expert! Again the best tip how to run this laptop... thanks