Acer 15 and external hard drive performance

ghendy
ghendy Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I really like my Acer 15 Chromebook so far, but I have experienced very slow performance with relation to external hard drives.  The external hard drive I am using is a Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD using a USB3 cable. Even trying to view a list of folders using the "files" app was excruciatingly slow, and sometimes the files app would just stall when trying to look at thumbnails of photos (several hundred photos in a folder). I did some research on Chromebooks and external hard drives and found there are some performance issues with NTFS formatted hard drives, so I reformatted my external SSD using exFAT, reloaded all of my folders and files, and over-all performance did show some improvement, but the "files" app still seems to struggle sometimes. This is especially true when you try to look at a long list of folders or when trying to look at thumbnails of photos in a folder when there are a relatively large quantity of photos in said folder (200 or more).  Is there a way to improve this situation?