Travelmate Spin TMB118-RN - eMMC -> SSD

D673uNpT
D673uNpT Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited January 2018 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi, 
the Travelmate Spin TMB118-RN    comes with a 64GB eMMC.
I opened the hd door, and I noticed there is a strange connector about ten mm wide, near the missed SATA connector.
I am wondering if there is a way to connect a SSD or a M.2 to expand the too little eMMC. And what connector is that and where could I buy a proper cable?
Strangeconnector10mm ->cable-> SataOrM.2Connector

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Yep. What number do you think the strange connector is? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• D673uNpT

Tinkerer

The connector on my mb is number 15. The 16th is missed, as you can see in my picture they put a label on it. I don't know its name, I never found a picture as good as yours.

Can I connect an SSD or a M.2 to the number 15 connector? is it a standard connector? what cable do I need?
    And if that's not possible, there are other ways to expand the eMMC with a SSD or M.2?

thankx
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    The connector on my mb is number 15. The 16th is missed, as you can see in my picture they put a label on it. I don't know its name, I never found a picture as good as yours.

Can I connect an SSD or a M.2 to the number 15 connector? is it a standard connector? what cable do I need?
    And if that's not possible, there are other ways to expand the eMMC with a SSD or M.2?

thankx

Hi,
    Yes, you can connect a HDD or a 2.5" SSD, you need a cable and a carrier for HDD, also need 4 screws to secure the HDD to the carrier and another 4 screws to fix the carrier to the bay, if you don't move the laptop very often you can secure the HDD with sponge inside the bay.
    Part number for cable: 50.VFXN7.001
    Part number for bracket: 33.VFXN7.001
    4 screws: 86.TDY07.003
    4 screws: 86.MQNN7.003
    You can get help from Acer service centre in your region for partner retailers who can sell these parts or search online. HTH.

• D673uNpT

Tinkerer

Thank you a lot, you are very precise and helping. =)=)
    Do you have the textual description for the picture JackE posted?

I searched for the 50.VFXN7.001, it seems quite difficult to find it in Europe, not Amazon, not Ebay, any idea who could sell it?
  • D673uNpT

Tinkerer

said:
     said:

thankx

Hi,
    Yes, you can connect a HDD or a 2.5" SSD, you need a cable and a carrier for HDD, also need 4 screws to secure the HDD to the carrier and another 4 screws to fix the carrier to the bay, if you don't move the laptop very often you can secure the HDD with sponge inside the bay.
    Part number for cable: 50.VFXN7.001
    Part number for bracket: 33.VFXN7.001
    4 screws: 86.TDY07.003
    4 screws: 86.MQNN7.003
    You can get help from Acer service centre in your region for partner retailers who can sell these parts or search online. HTH.

Thank you, you have great information very helpful, more than European Acer support anyway, super!
    The 4+4 screws are normal computer screws that very probabily I already have?
  • D673uNpT

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yep. What number do you think the strange connector is? Jack E/NJ

JeckE could you post the textual part of the picture you sent, the relative legend?
    Thank you
  • JackE
    Answer ✓

---Jack E/MJ

Jack E/NJ

• jsch
    jsch Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi
    Can you provide picture of the SATA cable please.
  • JackE
    SATA Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ovictoraurelio
    ovictoraurelio Member Posts: 5 New User
    Hi!

My laptop has missed the connector 15 too, I already buyed the SATA Jac E/NJ that you guys suggested but after installed with a 2.5" SSD my laptop don't start! the BIOS isn't loading I think might can be a power problem, some of you have the same problem?

This SSD stay working.. I'm using it on another computer.
    And after remove SSD my laptop come back to work normally
  • JackE
    @ovictoraurelio Is the 2.5" SSD identified in the BIOS menu infomation tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ovictoraurelio
    The BIOS isn't loading... nothing happens when I click in the power button.
  • JackE
    @ovictoraurelio Do you have the same travelmate model? Does the laptop start if only the SATA cable is connected to the mainboard but not to the 2.5" SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ovictoraurelio
    Yep, the laptop is the same, TravelMate b118-RN. If the connector is installed but not connected to a 2.5" SSD the laptop works fine! 
  • JackE
    What is the 2.5" SSD name & model number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ovictoraurelio
    SSD Sandisk 240gb g27, 
    Victor Aurélio.
  • JackE
    Is the cable connected to the HDD connector (#15) on the mainboard? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ovictoraurelio
    Exactly connected in #15! My #16 SSD connector is missing. 

I had buyed this connector: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32795007951.html?spm=a2g0n.orderlist-amp.item.32795007951
  • JackE
    edited October 2018
    >>>SSD Sandisk 240gb g27>>> the BIOS isn't loading I think might can be a power problem>>>

I think you are correct. And I think the Sandisk is defective, not the cable. Please don't try to use it anymore on your machine. Return the Sandisk to the vendor for an exchange or refund as soon as possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ