How do I improve the memory on my laptop?

clairev312
clairev312 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire ES 11, it's about 7 months old and i keep getting error messages saying to create more space. I've looked on the storage part if the settings and it says 28.8 GB of 29.1 GB on the PC have been used, this breaks down to 20.7 GB System and Reserved and 4.38 GB Apps and Games. 19.6 GB of the 20.7 GB is used for System files. I want to know what of the system files I can delete so that I have more memory. I save all of my university work and personal documents on an external hard drive because there is not storage space for it on my laptop. I really don't want to have to buy a new bigger laptop that has more memory or dismantle my laptop to put in a bigger hard drive. My apps aren't working because so much of my laptops running power is used on the system.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,441 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name, like ESx-xxx, also post the HDD size used in your laptop.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited January 2018

Sounds like it has a 32 GB on-board flash drive (and my opinion of a 32GB non-upgradable drive in a Windows machine is unprintable) but all the ES1-111 and 131s I found had 320GB or 500GB drives so please give either the full model name (Aspire ES..) or SKU (NX...).

That said, I have four Windows 10 devices with 32GB drives, three tabs and a clamshell, two of which could be upgraded to the Fall Creator's (1709)  - Bay Trail or later CPUs. Just went through this with a Spin 1. By adding a 64GB HCSD card and moving everything easily possible there and (after taking a system image) elimination of what was not needed (over a GB of games alone) now have 13.5 GB free on the C: drive. Still is primarily good for a terminal and not a workstation.

True for the 1709 Windows Update still wanted another 10GB so plugged in a 64GB 3.0 flash drive and it was happy.

The only issue is that the on board flash is about 5X faster than the SD card but just have to accept that.

ps on Amazon today the difference in price of a 32gb and 64gb M.2 is about $5. 128GB is under $50 but for a PC with a on-board flash you have to replace the MB (if one is available). Oh well PCs are still a lot more affordable than edible fruit (/rant).

• clairev312
    clairev312 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name, like ESx-xxx, also post the HDD size used in your laptop.
    It's ES1-132-C22B
    I have no idea what the HDD size is 
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.GHLEK.001 See here for the specs on that model and yes, it has a 32GB flash. Looks like it is a UK model so it isn't only the US that is "blessed" with 32GB drives and Windows 10.

So first you need a 32, 64, or 128GB U3 SD card (may have a significant speed advantage over a U1 or U2) and a 64 GB USB 3.0 flash drive (must be formatted NTFS).

Use the flash drive to save a system image Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\File History and at the bottom left select System Image Backup. Then select  Create a system image. Select the flash drive and let it create a flash drive. At the end it will ask if you want to create a repair disk. If you do not have one it is best to create a CD to boot from. With the CD and the flash drive you can always restore to the original. BTW can pull system images again in the future (rename to a good identifier), just need one repair disk to access the system inages as long as the same major OS.

Once you have this, label and put in a safe place. Can get a recovery drive from Acer but not inexpensive and will not have your personal files.

Next you need to remove everything from the C drive that you do not need to have. First open file manager, right click on the C: drive and select properties then disk cleanup. Once the screen comes back click on Clean up system files. Once done check on everything larger than a MB

Make sure you remove all old versions of Windows:

Open Settings then select System>Storage>This PC and then scroll down the list and choose Temporary files. Under Remove temporary files, select the Previous version of Windows check box and then choose Remove files.

Next open Settings >APPS and scroll down to APPs and Features. I remove anything over about 20MB is not needed. The bigger the better. Anything you need but can move (like Adobe Acrobat Reader) Uninstall then Reinstall (may be able just to cut and paste the directory)telling it to put itself on the SD card 

Now once you get done you should have at least 12GB free even with a 1GB recovery partition. You may still need to augment updates with a flash (e.g. "10GB additional memory needed") but they should run.

Should this be a sticky ?

• Martin04
    Martin04 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello Guys, please I'm new here. I have an Acer Aspire ES 11 ES1-132-C22B. 4GB DDR and a hard drive of 28GB. eMMC 32GB. So the memory isn't enough, is it possible that I change the internal memory card with out any hitch n performance or do I need to change other parts to if the swap is possible. I wouldn't mind a 80gb increase. Your advise will be duly appreciated. Thank you.