Firmware updates for Meltdown / Spectre vulnerabilites?

Options
OnTheGo
OnTheGo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I'm owning a Switch Alpha 12, and since December 2016 there's no new firmware update available.
The device uses an Intel processor which reportedly is affected by the Meltdown / Spectre vulnerabilities,
which have been published recently.

When does Acer plan to update those devices? Any (official) statement on this? Thanks!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Latest windows build(16299.192) fixes the meltdown vulnerability. About spectre you have to wait for BIOS update.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    When is the BIOS update expected to be released? My computer is slow to boot up since Microsoft issued their update for the problem Meltdown and Spectre hardware problems. I purchased the Switch Alpha 12 with the i7 processor because of its speed. What is Acer doing to fix this problem?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can find out when there will be a bios update regarding spectre for your device here. If your device is missing from the list contact Acer support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• OnTheGo
    Options
    Still waiting for a BIOS update of my Switch Alpha 12 (SA5-271) ...
  • ndl318
    ndl318 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options
    why you care so much about such vulnerabilites? Are you scientist working on nuclear power or something. Dont go worry about people hakcing your pc, it is very rare. Plus fixing those make your pc slower, just take it easy pal. Every pc manufacture wont release firmware for released devices, except in very rare case make your pc unusable. If you want better updates, you need to buy new device, thats what make them money
  • OnTheGo
    Options
    I'm actually working in IT on security, so I'm very well aware what can go wrong (and things *will* go wrong at a certain point in time).
  • ndl318
    ndl318 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    Options
    My man, what company are you working for, i bet you have multiple layers of security. In case of personal use i dont see any point of fixing the vulnerabilities. And i dont think acer will release any patch at all, too much cost for them