Black screen only and doesn't boot ( Acer Aspire R14 (r5-471t-534x)

ArthurTheBear
ArthurTheBear Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

my Acer Aspire R14 (r5-471t-534x) suddenly became not bootable with black screen and no signs of life. First, no LED light was on while AC connected, nor blue nor orange. Battery reset did not help. Then, in a couple of days of staying  with AC connected - battery LED became on and solid blue. I tried to boot it - HDD LED becomes solid blue and nothing happens besides that. I tried to boot it with the battery disconnected - same result. No noises inside, just like something tiny is spinning, but not a cooler. Each time I am trying to boot it - HDD LED goes solid blue and that's it. To get it off  I need to reset battery or (if battery disconnected) detach AC.

Any help on how is possible to fix it would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Answers

• ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

Found this one, will try this evening - 

Acer Aspire R 14 Black Screen of Death

• ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

Well, this didn't help. The same symptoms. Connecting the AC - battery light becomes orange (charging). After a 10-15 minutes it becomes blue (charged). Trying to start BIOS upgrade according to procedure mentioned in the link posted above. Laptop starts with HDD LED becoming solid blue and nothing happens after - no coolers spin, no tickling nose, nothing. Solid blue HDD LED remains until the battery connect/disconnect.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • russyaright
    russyaright Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same problem.  System is charged, but, nothing on the on-board monitor.

I've attempted to connect a secondary monitor and it appears to show the Acer logo, but, then says Invalid Format.

I've an ES1-111
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    Try to reset the machine to factory default by completely powering down. Then press and hold the Fn key. Then press the power button. Immediately start tapping the F12 key while still holding the Fn key. Then try to follow this recovery video if a recovery screen appears. Jack E/NJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I

Jack E/NJ

• Roetorooter
    Roetorooter Member Posts: 1 New User
    JackE said:
    Try to reset the machine to factory default by completely powering down. Then press and hold the Fn key. Then press the power button. Immediately start tapping the F12 key while still holding the Fn key. Then try to follow this recovery video if a recovery screen appears. Jack E/NJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I

After getting this error about two years ago and letting my laptop sit for 2 years, I just wanted to let you know, this worked!

Literally saved me so much headache and a lot of money, thank you so much!
  • JackE
    Thanks for the report but I think that video is down and ALT+F10, not FN+F12, is the  correct procedure as shown in the video below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Thanks for the report but I think that video is down and ALT+F10, not FN+F12, is the  correct procedure as shown in the video below. Jack E/NJ

I guess ALT+F10 is for Windows reset only.
    In my case I cannot even get into BIOS.
  • JackE

The assumption was that your machine did have factory installed Windows. Did it have something else? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    JackE said:

The assumption was that your machine did have factory installed Windows. Did it have something else? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, Windows 10. But no signs of life on startup -  nothing on the screen, no Acer logo, not even BIOS POST happens, no coolers spin, no HW ticking..
    Just HDD LED becomes solid blue and nothing happens besides that.
    Suspecting mobo fried..
  • JackE
    Try removing the SSD card to see if you can at least get to a BIOS screen. The bottom cover must be pried off after removing its 12 screws. The battery removed. Remove 1 screw holding the SSD down. It'll pop up to pull out of the slot. Then put the battery and bottom cover back on without the SSD to see if the BIOS wakes up. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Try removing the SSD card to see if you can at least get to a BIOS screen

Thank you for the idea.
    I don't remember actually if I tried to remove the SSD two years ago when it died (clearly remember I have removed network card though..), but will try this weekend.
  • ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Try removing the SSD card to see if you can at least get to a BIOS screen

Thank you for the idea.
    I don't remember actually if I tried to remove the SSD two years ago when it died (clearly remember I have removed network card though..), but will try this weekend.
  • ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Try removing the SSD card to see if you can at least get to a BIOS screen. The bottom cover must be pried off after removing its 12 screws. The battery removed. Remove 1 screw holding the SSD down. It'll pop up to pull out of the slot. Then put the battery and bottom cover back on without the SSD to see if the BIOS wakes up. Jack E/NJ

Thank you for the idea. I don't remember actually if I tried this two years ago when it died (clearly remeber I have removed network card though..), but will try this weekend.
  • ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

Not worked. Fried mobo still suspected. No signs of life at all except the LED light.
  • JackE
    Put the SSD back in there. Connect to a TV with an HDMI cable. When the battery LED is blue, try to turn the machine on. Any signs of life on the TV? You may have to turn it on by using the FN+F5 toggle key combo. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    JackE said:
    Put the SSD back in there. Connect to a TV with an HDMI cable. When the battery LED is blue, try to turn the machine on. Any signs of life on the TV? You may have to turn it on by using the FN+F5 toggle key combo. Jack E/NJ 
    Thanks for the advise. Not successful though - no signal.
    The only sign of life is blue drive LED and mobo becomes warmer near the processor when turned on. Probably bridge is fried..
  • JackE
    How do you know the mainboard is warmer near the processor? Do you have any of the covers or doors removed? The reason I ask is that some mainboards have a spring loaded normally off safety switch that cuts part or all power if the cover is off or misaligned with keeping this switch depressed in the on position. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    JackE said:
    How do you know the mainboard is warmer near the processor? Do you have any of the covers or doors removed? The reason I ask is that some mainboards have a spring loaded normally off safety switch that cuts part or all power if the cover is off or misaligned with keeping this switch depressed in the on position. Jack E/NJ
    I tried with removed bottom cover. After pressing Power button nothing happens, but MB becomes warmer than a hand so I feel it. Also there is a tiny constant high frequency whistling noise from the left side of MB (on pictures attached) while power comes to MB from battery or from AC adapter. Apart that - nothing. Fans are not spinning as well. I am wondering if there a kind of a block to boot if fans are broken?
  • JackE
    Can you find the BIOS lithium button cell on the mainboard? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ArthurTheBear

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Can you find the BIOS lithium button cell on the mainboard? Jack E/NJ

Yes, I tried to disconnect it for 20 minutes and reconnect after - no result