Why does my Acer Predator Helios 300 fan sounds weird?

Lunabladez
Lunabladez Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My fan when I bought it around 2-3 months ago while just browsing or surfing the web was relatively quiet. Then one day when I was using it, I heard a weird sound that sounds like buzzing from the laptop. I tried to remove the cover, but I am afraid I might destroy my laptop in the process as it was really stuck. I also noticed that my laptop was missing a little tray and cable that is used for an extra memory slot for hhd or ssd. Please help. 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You should contact Acer support about the missing hdd caddy and cable.

This post might help you: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533520/how-to-get-the-hdd-caddy-and-sata-cable-to-install-a-second-drive-in-my-predator-helios-300#latest
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Fdg
    Fdg Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Are you still getting the buzzing noise? Lunabladez said:
    My fan when I bought it around 2-3 months ago while just browsing or surfing the web was relatively quiet. Then one day when I was using it, I heard a weird sound that sounds like buzzing from the laptop. I tried to remove the cover, but I am afraid I might destroy my laptop in the process as it was really stuck. I also noticed that my laptop was missing a little tray and cable that is used for an extra memory slot for hhd or ssd. Please help. 

• karlos_tapia
    karlos_tapia Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

the fan noise may be from dust collecting on them, I had the same problem with mine and had to open it. It is really not that bad to get the back plate off. All I used was qtips and a can of compressed air to clean mine, it did took me a while because I was taking my time. 
  • OrganizedChaos
    OrganizedChaos Member Posts: 24 Networker
    At 2-3 months old, I doubt it's dust build-up, unless the OP has exposed it to some serious dust in that time.  :# The fan on my son's old Acer Aspire began making a slight buzzing noise. I found a video of someone having the exact same problem. Turns out, it has a very thin metal cover over the fan and for whatever reason over time (maybe this piece of metal got slightly bent) one or more of the fan blades was rubbing on that cover ever so slightly. You could see the wear mark on the metal. The person in the video simply removed that cover on his laptop, but also suggested trying to bend the metal cover flat or filing it down a little bit where it was obvious the fan was rubbing. I still haven't messed with it. Been meaning to do that, but my boy has a new Predator now, so I may or may not try to fix it.
    If you think the buzzing is coming from the fan, it's possible the blades have begun rubbing on something. Is the buzzing noise still present when the fans are not running (or running at a very low RPM)? If you're not comfortable opening up the casing, I'd suggest contacting Acer support and possibly sending it in for warranty work.