Flickering and artifact in VR

jhebbel
jhebbel Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
I have a weird issue where when I used my VR headset (any application, any game, even in the loft or steam home) I get weird spots flickering over the 3d experience, almost as if somthing else is fighting to render a 2D image while using my 3D headset.

I took a short video where I held my phone up to a lens. It shows up ok here but is obviously MUCH more pronounced during VR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx0AOEfQYAk&feature=youtu.be

Model: Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-571-77QK 15.6
Nvidia version: 388.71

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited January 2018
    it happens only on the VR headset? (which model is it?)
    some of those look like corrupted GPU ram artifacts but it will appear on monitor too.

using Steam home, mirror the VR image and check if they appears on the mirrored image.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jhebbel
    IronFly said:
    it happens only on the VR headset? (which model is it?)
    some of those look like corrupted GPU ram artifacts but it will appear on monitor too.

using Steam home, mirror the VR image and check if they appears on the mirrored image.
    Mirrored to desktop does show something weird, a flashing spec, but not the same as what is in headset. Non VR games seem ok so far.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO_5VGaa-Fk&feature=youtu.be
  • IronFly
    Interesting, the flashing dot is in a fixed point...
    please try other VR games/applications on mirroring mode and check about artifacts.

please try non VR applications too and hook an external monitor on the same port you connected the VR headset; so you can understand if it's a port issue or VR headset cable or the GPU itself (i think the GPU is the culprit and it can be worth to install the nvidia driver from Acer support website, even if they are an older version)
  • jhebbel
    Well... removed the Geforce experience and the up-to-date driver from laptop then installed the one from Acer website, now laptop is in a constant crash and reboot cycle displaying: 
  • IronFly
    Nice :(
    try this:
    at boot press ALT+F10 keys, this will start Acer/windows recovery.
    From the Recovery screen
    Click on Troubleshoot.
    Click on Advanced Options.
    Click on Startup Settings.
    Click on Restart.
    The PC will now reboot to the Startup Settings screen.
    Press 4 to Enable Safe Mode as prompted.

once in Safe mode, go to Device manager, click on Display adapters, right click on your GPU  and choose uninstall(tick to uninstall software too).
    then reboot normally

• jhebbel
    Yea just did a reset on the laptop, got back into it and had the same issue even with all the factory drivers. At this point i've created an RMA with newegg and will likely go with a different brand :-(
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    as i supposed, probably the GPU ram was going bad.