Acer Aspire ES1-132-C8WF - only device bootable is Windows Boot Manager

Options
joshifire
joshifire Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, I got this laptop at christmas and I have been trying to install windows XP. However, when i boot the laptop and enter the boot menu, the only option listed is Windows Boot Manager, which just boots normally into Windows 10. I have tried booting from a USB and portable DVD drive, neither showed up. Even setting up a different partition with a bootable iso (and one mounted from a virtual hard drive), neither have worked. There doesn't seem to be a way to set up legacy boot in the BIOS.

Any way I can fix this?

Answers

• joshifire
    Options
    and now it just is erroring at windows 10 boot

"Status: 0xc00000bd

Info: An unexpected error has occurred."
  • joshifire
    Options
    edit: windows 10 is dumb and is working now, XP still not booting
  • Tmzdroid
    Tmzdroid Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Disable secure boot in bios you have to set a password first to enable this option.
  • Thorsden
    Thorsden Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi

It's not that easy.

I can make my ES1-132 see a variety of Linux boot USB devices made using Rufus and the ISO images downloaded from the official sites.

However any boot USB sticks made with any other OS won't be seen. These sticks are OK because they boot on on a more elderly laptop.

It's not the Windows loader, getting in the way, I blew away the whole disk and loaded Linux Mint at Christmas, but that's another story.

With a USB stick in I can see  a reference to USB HDD when you alter the boot order in the BIOS, but again it doesn't show in the boot list when you press F12 at boot.

Adding a second hard drive with setup files preloaded may be a way forward, but this is unexplored territory

See my first post elsewhere on this board about adding a hard drive to an eMMC equipped laptop.

Has anyone else got any further?

Bob