My Acer TC-780 desktop shows a battery icon and shuts down reporting low battery! Please help!

Options
pf-
pf- Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
My Acer TC-780 desktop shows a battery icon and shuts down reporting low battery! Please help!

Best Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @pf-

When you see a battery icon on a desktop, that's usually because you are plugged in to a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply).   Sometimes surge protectors can look very similar to a UPS.  Possibly you're confused??  Or possibly I'm confused?  ;)  I guess you could try plugging directly in to the wall or a surge protector until you get it figured out.  

If your surge protector or UPS has a model number, you can post it here or google it to see what you've got.

I use a UPS similar to the one in link below on my desktop.  But on another desktop, I just plug it in to a surge protector (not a UPS)

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Protector-Charging-BE850M2/dp/B01FWAZEIU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • pf-
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you Jordan, your answer was spot on! Not only is my Acer powered by the same APC UPS but as long as I have the PC connected to the UPS with a USB cable, the battery icon is present; if I disconnect the USB cable, the icon goes away and no longer get warnings about the battery charging. I only needed the USB connection to get information from the UPS regarding status, results of self-tests, and times the UPS intervened during power events. Thank you again for your timely response, time and consideration!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @pf-

When you see a battery icon on a desktop, that's usually because you are plugged in to a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply).   Sometimes surge protectors can look very similar to a UPS.  Possibly you're confused??  Or possibly I'm confused?  ;)  I guess you could try plugging directly in to the wall or a surge protector until you get it figured out.  

If your surge protector or UPS has a model number, you can post it here or google it to see what you've got.

I use a UPS similar to the one in link below on my desktop.  But on another desktop, I just plug it in to a surge protector (not a UPS)

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Protector-Charging-BE850M2/dp/B01FWAZEIU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • pf-
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you Jordan, your answer was spot on! Not only is my Acer powered by the same APC UPS but as long as I have the PC connected to the UPS with a USB cable, the battery icon is present; if I disconnect the USB cable, the icon goes away and no longer get warnings about the battery charging. I only needed the USB connection to get information from the UPS regarding status, results of self-tests, and times the UPS intervened during power events. Thank you again for your timely response, time and consideration!

• pf-
    Options
    Jordan rocks! :)