Having two anti-virus for Predator Helios G3-571? Does it affect overall performance?

Seiraa
Seiraa Member Posts: 23 Networker
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
First of all, sorry for asking such a dumb question but does it affect overall performance in system and gaming?

Best Answers

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Simple answer, Yes.
    It is frowned upon having two anti-virus because they can conflict. Typically, the two anti-virus become locked with each other and they don't work at stopping malware. I don't have an anti-virus on my laptop anymore. Windows 10 now has its own anti-virus. You only need one if you are doing fishy things, like downloading torrents and/or files from locations that you are not confident about.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    If you don't have an antivirus software, windows defender will be automatically turned on. Test the gaming performance with windows defender only. Install the antivirus you want and disable windows defender. Check the gaming performance again and you will see if there is any difference. The AVs don't use GPU resourses, so if your CPU doesn't hit 100% load in gaming there won't be a difference in performance between when the antivirus is on and when it is off.

As skelomorph said, you should have only one antivirus running at a time.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Simple answer, Yes.
    It is frowned upon having two anti-virus because they can conflict. Typically, the two anti-virus become locked with each other and they don't work at stopping malware. I don't have an anti-virus on my laptop anymore. Windows 10 now has its own anti-virus. You only need one if you are doing fishy things, like downloading torrents and/or files from locations that you are not confident about.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    If you don't have an antivirus software, windows defender will be automatically turned on. Test the gaming performance with windows defender only. Install the antivirus you want and disable windows defender. Check the gaming performance again and you will see if there is any difference. The AVs don't use GPU resourses, so if your CPU doesn't hit 100% load in gaming there won't be a difference in performance between when the antivirus is on and when it is off.

As skelomorph said, you should have only one antivirus running at a time.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!