Is running my fan at max all the time a good idea?

Options
Luke_Frederick
Luke_Frederick Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
When the fans aren't on max all the time it gets to about 90-93c, which according to the FAQ can cause heat damage, but leaving my fans on max all the time feels like I'm slowly killing the computer. Are the fans built to be on max all the time or should I buy a cooling pad off of Amazon?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Leaving the fans constantly on max speed all the time will wear them quicker, but letting them run on max speed only when it is need won't impact them much. It is a good idea to have more space between the laptop and the object it is resting on, because more than half of the air sucked, is an already hot air. For this you can use books for example to prop it up a bit higher or buy a cooling pad, which will give a better effect.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Luke_Frederick
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Also, my laptop is sitting directly on my desk, would propping it up to give the fans more room?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Leaving the fans constantly on max speed all the time will wear them quicker, but letting them run on max speed only when it is need won't impact them much. It is a good idea to have more space between the laptop and the object it is resting on, because more than half of the air sucked, is an already hot air. For this you can use books for example to prop it up a bit higher or buy a cooling pad, which will give a better effect.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Options
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Skelomorph
    Options
    First, thank you for reading the FAQ thingy I made first before making a post. I always wonder how much all new people actually read it :p.

Second, even on a flat desk, the bottom of the laptop does not really get very much airflow (plus it is sucking in the hot air back under as well). I suggest getting a cooling pad for that part. To test, put the laptop on your lap with your legs crossed or another way where there is nothing blocking the bottom and see if the temperatures decrease and you will have your answer.

Third, what are you doing to cause the temperature to run that high? I have saw posts (not in Acer, elsewhere) where they have ran their laptops at 97C for a long time and they still worked. However, the longer it runs while hot, the shorter the life span of the laptop.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Luke_Frederick
    Options
    First, thank you for reading the FAQ thingy I made first before making a post. I always wonder how much all new people actually read it :p.

Second, even on a flat desk, the bottom of the laptop does not really get very much airflow (plus it is sucking in the hot air back under as well). I suggest getting a cooling pad for that part. To test, put the laptop on your lap with your legs crossed or another way where there is nothing blocking the bottom and see if the temperatures decrease and you will have your answer.

Third, what are you doing to cause the temperature to run that high? I have saw posts (not in Acer, elsewhere) where they have ran their laptops at 97C for a long time and they still worked. However, the longer it runs while hot, the shorter the life span of the laptop.

Skelo
    All I'm doing is running a very CPU and GPU intensive game (train sim world CSX: Heavy haul) and letting the predator sense on auto. But if I keep it on max I can keep the temp down to 88c so I was wondering if I should do that? Would that be hard on the fans? But I've also realized that another reason of my laptops overheating could be because I leave the game running in the background and search the web, which brought the temp up to 91C. I'm going to try one more play session without having google chrome open and see if the temp stays at least under 90, and if not ill just order a cooling pad off of Amazon. Thanks for putting so much time and effort into this forum. 
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    Ven98 already answered about using the fans on max. Using the fans on max for longer times will cause them to wear out quicker. Personally, I do not touch the fan speed when I use my laptop. I don't have to as my temperature stay in the low 80s because I repasted my CPU. Have you tried what I said and raising the laptop up some to see if the temperature come down any (which is what will result in owning a cooling pad)?

While the laptops have good processing power. I do not recommend multitasking on them when you are playing a game.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Luke_Frederick
    Options
    Ven98 already answered about using the fans on max. Using the fans on max for longer times will cause them to wear out quicker. Personally, I do not touch the fan speed when I use my laptop. I don't have to as my temperature stay in the low 80s because I repasted my CPU. Have you tried what I said and raising the laptop up some to see if the temperature come down any (which is what will result in owning a cooling pad)?

While the laptops have good processing power. I do not recommend multitasking on them when you are playing a game.

Skelo
    Sorry about asking about the fans again, I couldn't tell if you were referring to the laptop or the fans themselves. I'll experiment with raising my laptop because I just tested having only the game open and it still got to 90C. Thanks for your help!
  • Luke_Frederick
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Sorry, never saw this reply (my eyes skipped over it for some reason) and only saw the link to the cooling pad. Thank you for your information!
  • ven98
    Options
    Can you tell me your laptop's model please? 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Luke_Frederick
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Can you tell me your laptop's model please? 
    Predator Helios 300, I bought a cooling pad on Amazon and now it doesn't go over 85, thanks!