low fps when gaming

durrxnii
durrxnii Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
i recently bought a predator helios 300 and went to play some games. turns out i was capped at 60 fps for all of it. even my friend, whom my pc was supposedly better, had better fps than me, even when he has max settings on his and lowest settings on mine. he still had better and smoother performance in game. are my drivers outdated or is there smth wrong with my pc?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It is because you have v-sync enabled. Go to Nvidia control panel>3d settings and set it to 'off' or 'use the 3d application setting'(so you can enable it or disable it from the game). You don't need a higher fps than 60, because your screen's refresh rate is 60Hz, which means it refreshes the image 60times per second. Even if you have a game running at 120fps, it won't make a difference. Leaving v-sync enabled, capping your frame rate to 60fps is better for smoother performance.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It is because you have v-sync enabled. Go to Nvidia control panel>3d settings and set it to 'off' or 'use the 3d application setting'(so you can enable it or disable it from the game). You don't need a higher fps than 60, because your screen's refresh rate is 60Hz, which means it refreshes the image 60times per second. Even if you have a game running at 120fps, it won't make a difference. Leaving v-sync enabled, capping your frame rate to 60fps is better for smoother performance.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!