Can I upgrade my HDD to a 15mm one?

Options
fz_wake
fz_wake Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, my device is G9-793-78cm. Can I upgrade my HDD to a 15mm one?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    No, you can only install 7mm and 9.5mm drives.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    No, maximum size you can install is 9.5mm.
  • fz_wake
    fz_wake Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Got it. Thank you, guys!!
  • Jozac05
    Jozac05 Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi! Everyone, im new here.. ☺
    Just wanna share something...
    I recently bought a gaming laptop, i was comparing the 5 major gaming laptop brands (ALIENWARE, ACER, MSI, ASUS, HP, and LENOVO), then i finally decided to buy the Predator 17 g9-793-78TE due to plenty of I/O options...
    Yes, you can install a 2.5" 15mm thick laptop hard drive in this laptop..
    I was comparing the 2 external drive 4tb and 5tb drive which of the two 8 will buy and install, i was watching youtube videos on how to crack open of a external hard drive to get the drive, while watI recently bought a seagate 5tb external hardrive and shuck the drive to extract the 5tb drive in the enclosure..

• Jozac05
    Options
    Hi! Everyone, im new here.. ☺
    Just wanna share something...
    I recently bought a gaming laptop, i was comparing the 5 major gaming laptop brands (ALIENWARE, ACER, MSI, ASUS, HP, and LENOVO), then i finally decided to buy the Predator 17 g9-793-78TE due to plenty of I/O options...
    Yes, you can install a 2.5" 15mm thick laptop hard drive in this laptop..
    I was comparing the 2 external drive 4tb and 5tb drive which of the two 8 will buy and install, i was watching youtube videos on how to crack open a external hard drive to get the actual hard drive, while watching the videos I'm pausing it in between, just to compare the 4tb drives to 5tb drives, good thing some of the videos i saw has a hard drive description, that the 5tb drive is 15mm thick. I was hesitant to by the 5tb drive at first cause i was thinking it will not fit under the chassis of my predator, i was thinking it would be 1mm to 2mm thicker than the 4tb hard drive, but i took the risk of buying the 5tb hard drive. It was the best decision I've made, considering i will have an extra 1tb compared to a 4tb thinner drive. So i bought a seagate 5tb external hardrive and shuck the drive to extract the 5tb drive from the enclosure. The drive inside the enclosure is the seagate barracuda 5tb and then shove it in my predator, then it fits fine atfer doing some rubber modifications to support the drive in place and snugly...hope this information helps for those who want to upgrade the storage of their predator...cheers!
  • Jozac05
    Options
    here's the proof that the 5tb drive really fits inside the Predator 17 g9...☺
    All in all i have 4 drives in my predator:
    1 samsung 960evo 1tb nvme ssd
    1 micron 256gb m.2 ssd
    1 seagate fire cuda 2tb ssbhdd on dvd caddy
    1 seagate barracuda 5tb hdd
    And while replacing the thermal compound of my predator i saw in the motherboard another i/o option where you can install another sata 2.5 drive, if you're planning to install 1 ssd sata driver and 1 regular 2tb drive it is also possible. I think even 1tb ssd and 3tb mechanical drive is possible, but you have to remove the enclosure of your ssd drive so it can fit under the chasi... ☺  
  • Jozac05
    Options
    here is the photo taken while i was installing my 5tb drive. 
  • Sylphien
    Sylphien Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    @Jozac05 Hey, could you please give me a link to buy the correct dvd caddy for the predator, I have an extra hdd just sitting around and I'm been meaning to use it on this laptop. Any disassembly instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing. 
  • Jozac05
    Options
    You can buy the 9mm thick dvd rom caddy version and install a 2.5 inches 2tb hard drive either ssd/ssdhdd or mechanical drive. 
    If you want to install the 5tb storage, i bought the 2.5 inches 5tb external portable seagate back up plus drive, it's 15mm thick. My advised is to test the drive first before you extract it from the enclosure, just in case you got the defective drive you can still return it and have it replace with new once. Once you shuck your external hard drive from the enclosure it will void your hard drive warranty..
    Just search on youtube the "dvd rom caddy installation" there will be a lot of videos to choose from to see how to install the drive and removing the dvd rom front face panel.. 
  • Sylphien
    Sylphien Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    HI @Jozac05. Could you please tell which dvd caddy did you use to add another drive? And where can I get some information in disassembly? I got the helios 300, 17.3 model if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance. 
  • Jozac05
    Options
    Sylphien said:
    HI @Jozac05. Could you please tell which dvd caddy did you use to add another drive? And where can I get some information in disassembly? I got the helios 300, 17.3 model if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance. 

Sylphien, I ordered mine online...
    i leave in Philippines, bought it on lazada online. I bought the 9mm version dvd caddy for almost 8$..
    Disassembly and installation is very easy, just try to search on youtube for detailed video instructions.
    I'm not quite  sure if the helios 300 will support the 15mm thick hard drive.

• Jozac05
    Options
    You can only install 7mm thick hard drive on dvd rom caddy, you can't install the 15mm thick hard drive. The dvd rom caddy will only support maximum of 2tb mechanical hard drive. Try to check your helios hard drive slot, try to measure it, if it's 15cm deep then you can certainly upgrade your drive to 5tb.
  • Jozac05
    Options
    Sylphien, i checked the hard drive slot dimensions of your helios, I'm sorry to tell you this it will not support the 15mm thick hard drive, your 2nd option is using the dvd rom caddy to install another 2tb hard drive aside from the drive that came on your helios.  
  • DJNJ
    DJNJ Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Jozac05 said:
    here's the proof that the 5tb drive really fits inside the Predator 17 g9...☺
    All in all i have 4 drives in my predator:
    1 samsung 960evo 1tb nvme ssd
    1 micron 256gb m.2 ssd
    1 seagate fire cuda 2tb ssbhdd on dvd caddy
    1 seagate barracuda 5tb hdd
    And while replacing the thermal compound of my predator i saw in the motherboard another i/o option where you can install another sata 2.5 drive, if you're planning to install 1 ssd sata driver and 1 regular 2tb drive it is also possible. I think even 1tb ssd and 3tb mechanical drive is possible, but you have to remove the enclosure of your ssd drive so it can fit under the chasi... ☺  
    Hi, 

Based on your feedback, I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a 5TB Internal HDD (15mm) for the G9. 
    Hope it fit without requiring any additional modification. I will be placing it inside the laptop, replacing the existing internal HDD. 

Can you share a pic of yours, and how it was done? 
  • Jozac05
    Options

Here it is... ☺ 
  • Jozac05
    Options
    My behemoth 12tb Predator 17 g9...
  • Jozac05
    Options
    I've tried searching it on youtube and google about 12tb laptops but there's no results found. I think my Predator is one of it's kind having the 12tb setup...☺