Acer Aspire V3-771G with Windows 10 Keyboard Backlight not working

Options
Hoobski
Hoobski Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello Acer Community,
I have upgraded my parents laptop from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 and found that after the update, Keyboard backlight is not working anymore...
I was hoping this would be an easy fix, but search on Google hasn't yielded any insight into how this could be fixed?
Windows Mobility Center doesn't have an option for Keyboard backlight, and to be honest I can't remember if it did have it when Windows 7 was installed. All I remember is that whenever the laptop was on with Windows 7 installed, Keyboard Backlight turned on by itself.
I have tried various other suggestions tu turn it ON/OFF,  FN+CTRL+Z, FN+SPACE...etc, none of which worked. Keyboard key labels do not indicate there is a function key to turn the backlight ON/OFF which sux.

If anyone has this laptop and you have upgraded to Windows 10 - 1703/1709...or other, and your keyboard backlight works or you know how to turn it on/off, please let me know.

Thank you all for reading and any help is much appreciated.

Hoobski

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited December 2017
    Options
    check if you able to re-install launch manager:
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Application/LaunchManager/LaunchManager_Dritek_7.0.10_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635170665156197548&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE V3-771G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

reboot and see if keyboard backlight works, by the way the Acer classic key combination is Fn+F9 but it's not available on your model.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>I have upgraded my parents laptop from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 and found that after the update, Keyboard backlight is not working anymore...>>>

If it were my parents machine, I would upgrade it back to Win7 ASAP if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hoobski
    Options

Hi IronFly,
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately Lunch Manager didn't fix the Keyboard Backlight. I tried installing the one you linked which was for Windows 8.1 which didn't do anything. Didn't even give me OSD notifications when pressing CAPSLOCK, VOLUME...etc, however when I installed Launch Manager for Windows 7 64Bit, that at least gave OSD notifications for CAPSLOCK, VOLUME, and all FUNCTION KEYS as well. Strange that installer for Windows 8.1 wouldn't do that.
    In any case, Keyboard Backlight still doesn't work. I did try FN+F9 earlier and after Launch Manager (both versions) were installed and still nothing.
    It's so ridiculous that such a simple yet extremely useful functionality of the Laptop would be broken by upgrading to the latest OS, and that Acer wouldn't even issue an update to fix it.

Thank you for all your help.
    Hoobski
  • Hoobski
    Options

JackE said:
    >>>I have upgraded my parents laptop from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 and found that after the update, Keyboard backlight is not working anymore...>>>

If it were my parents machine, I would upgrade it back to Win7 ASAP if possible. Jack E/NJ

Hi JackE,

Thanks for your reply, however I would not want to go down that route. It's way too much hassle for this issue.

Hoobski

• JackE
    edited December 2017
    Options
    >>>It's way too much hassle for this issue.>>>

If Win10 were more like Win8.1 or Win7, I'd agree with you. But it's not. You should be more concerned about the other issues your parents may have to deal when the next significant automatic Win10 update is downloaded and installed. Jack E/NJ  PS: If you didn't allow the Win10 installation to wipe the hidden ACER eRecovery partition, then returning to Win7 while saving personal files shouldn't be too much hassle.

Jack E/NJ

• jorgetawnan
    jorgetawnan Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

My notebook has the same problem. Did you get any solutions?
  • JackE
    Options
    You can try to install the Win7 Launch Mgr in Win7 compatibility mode if want to try to keep the current Win10 version. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ