CPU throttles to .79 at 40% battery life on high performance

Options
soapman88
soapman88 Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello all, 

if I'm gaming or just searching the internet when the battery reaches 40% it drops the core speed to 0.79 and its honestly pretty unusable. I have played with the performance plan, and have played with the advanced performance core plan (min - max) and still no changes. I have also gone into the inter power options in the intel app and turned up everything to max performance and turned power helpers off. I have checked the temps and they are very cold 25c- 35c. Any help would be huge! thanks soo much!

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There is not other way, except sending it Acer. Are the fans spinning, when the battery is under 40%?

You can try one last thing, uninstalling ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. After uninstalling it, restart the system and let windows download and install the driver.
    If it doesn't work, download Throttlestop and disable BD PROCHOT(it protects your system from heat damage, if it overheats by downclocking the CPU, if your system doesn't keep good temperatures(under 90C), I don't suggest you disabling it):
    To disable, untick it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Options
    Can you post you device model? Does this happen while the laptop is charging or on battery power only or both? 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• soapman88
    Options
    hey sorry, I have been out of town. its the aspire v nitro black edition with 16gb of ram, i7 7700hq and the NVidia 1060. It only happens on battery when the power level hits 40%.
  • ven98
    Options
    I would suggest you to try updating the BIOS. You can download the latest version here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
    Find your laptop in the device list and you will find the BIOS in BIOS/Firmware.

Before executing the installation make sure the battery is fully charged and laptop connected to AC. During the installation the device may restart several times, so don't attempt to turn it off.

If BIOS update doesn't fix this you should contact Acer in your region.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• soapman88
    Options
    Hey, ya i updated bios and still does it. It feel like it's a switch that just needs to be clicked of.. Thanks 
  • soapman88
    Options
    Talked to acer customer support and holy heck talk about useless. If anyone else has any idea I'm all ears
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There is not other way, except sending it Acer. Are the fans spinning, when the battery is under 40%?

You can try one last thing, uninstalling ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. After uninstalling it, restart the system and let windows download and install the driver.
    If it doesn't work, download Throttlestop and disable BD PROCHOT(it protects your system from heat damage, if it overheats by downclocking the CPU, if your system doesn't keep good temperatures(under 90C), I don't suggest you disabling it):
    To disable, untick it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• soapman88
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I talked to another tier of support and they said that this was installed on the bios and with intel and cannot be changed. I find that odd or a flat out lie since people have not chimed in saying this is normal. Thanks for the tips I will give them a shot