Are these temperatures ok?

Red777
Red777 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
i just got a Helios 300 I like it a lot! But when playing games the temperature is around 60-70 degree Celsius with the fan maxed out. is that too hot?
It’s was 72 for cpu n 70 for gpu while playing PUBG n around 60 for everything else. Maybe less

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    70C is more than a perfect for a laptop. You don't even need to undervolt.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• RoarRay
    RoarRay Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I've got a Helios 300 / 571 model and have been playing PubG a bunch this month. Those temps are very ideal! If you find it too hot (or if it gets hotter) you could always turn down some of the graphics settings. I run most graphic settings on high or ultra, fans on max speed, and ensure nothing is blocking the vents and often would see temps nearing 80C for both GPU/CPU. With undervolting and using a cooling pad (still on same settings) my max temp was 73C. But if you are fine with those temps (as I envy them especially if you haven't done much fiddling for them) don't worry about it. :) 
  • Red777
    RoarRay said:
    I've got a Helios 300 / 571 model and have been playing PubG a bunch this month. Those temps are very ideal! If you find it too hot (or if it gets hotter) you could always turn down some of the graphics settings. I run most graphic settings on high or ultra, fans on max speed, and ensure nothing is blocking the vents and often would see temps nearing 80C for both GPU/CPU. With undervolting and using a cooling pad (still on same settings) my max temp was 73C. But if you are fine with those temps (as I envy them especially if you haven't done much fiddling for them) don't worry about it. :) 
    So I shouldn’t worry? Also plan to stream games on twitch will that make it much hotter while playing?
  • ven98
    edited December 2017
    It will make it run hotter, but you don't need to worry, unless the CPU's average temperature goes above 85C.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Red777
    ven98 said:
    It will make it run hotter, but you don't need to worry, unless the CPU's average temperature goes above 85C.
    Is there a good cooler I can buy for it?
  • ven98
    https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Ultra-Slim-R9-NBC-XSLI-GP/dp/B005C31HC0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513111440&sr=8-2&keywords=cooler+master+cooling+pad

This is recommended by a helios 300 user(skelomorph). For these temperatures you don't need a cooler pad. You can undervolt the CPU using XTU or Throttlestop. Start with reducing the voltage by 100mV and keep reducing it by 5mV until the system crushes. Reboot and set the voltage to the last value the system was stable on. Make sure you have a stress test like prime95 running at the background while undervolting.

This is a video showing how to undervolt with throttlestop: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K1srWgovdn8
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• RoarRay
    RoarRay Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Red777 said:

So I shouldn’t worry? Also plan to stream games on twitch will that make it much hotter while playing?
    85C is okay, not ideal especially if it's for long periods. Anything over 90C is a concern. One of the pinned posts at the top of the page discusses it in more detail. -- I don't know much about streaming. I think your graphics card may bottleneck depending on your settings. I play with high/ultra settings on PubG and the graphics card usage is normally 90-100%. Albeit I don't run much else during except maybe some music and Discord.