PC freezing and white screens on windows 10

EmilyDB
EmilyDB Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I got a new Aspire TC-780 desktop less than a month ago. It ran great for the first week, but during the second week, it started to freeze at least twice a day. The freezes would happen at random points of time while watching videos on youtube or playing online games. I would have to manually restart, unable to open task manager. There was no timing at all to the freezing, sometimes it would happen within a minute of starting a video, sometimes I could watch entire movies and such before it would freeze. The only consistency was that it happens daily. 

This week a new problem has popped up. Twice now I have gotten a blank white screen, and this has happened while just browsing. 

I have made a point to update every possible driver that I have and they're all up-to-date. Graphics, etc. I don't know if it's a possibility that it's a Windows 10 compatibility issue or a hardware issue, but it's getting frustrating. I'm just lucky I have yet to lose any important work. However, it's a problem I need to end. This PC is too new to be doing this. 

Details:
Acer Aspire TC-780
Intel core i3-7100 cpu @ 3.90GHz 3.91GHz
8 GB ram/internal memory
64-bit OS, x64-based processor
Intel HD Graphics 630

Monitor is an Asus HDMI, if it matters. 

Answers

• EmilyDB
    I contacted microsoft support as well and they did a lot of scans on my computer. He said it was likely due to needing an update to acer's graphic card driver that I'll need to wait for. Not sure if this is 100% true or not though, so any other opinions?
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    please report your BIOS version:
    windows logo + r keys
    type
    msinfo32

report BIOS date version string

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • EmilyDB
    IronFly said:
    please report your BIOS version:
    windows logo + r keys
    type
    msinfo32

report BIOS date version string

BIOS Version/date American Megatrends Inc. R02-A2, 2/21/2017
  • EmilyDB
    IronFly said:
    can you please update the BIOS?

unzip the file and then browse to WIN folder and double click 
    FLASHx64.bat

When I click on it, a box flashes open but then nothing happens. 
  • EmilyDB
    edited December 2017
    I ended up extracting all the files and when I did that, I was able to run FLASHx64. When I did do, it said 'error reading driver' but it still seemed to run another sort of update (I missed the name) and my computer restarted. Is there anything else I need to do?
  • IronFly
    please recheck the BIOS version to be sure it's updated.
  • EmilyDB
    The date is still the same
  • EmilyDB
    I tried the flash64 several times but each time it says
    10 Error : unable to load driver

Then says it's updating and restarts my computer. The date of my BIOS hasn't changed and I'm afraid if I keep messing with it I'll accidentally brick the computer
  • IronFly
    move the whole folder to C:
    then right click the flash64 file and choose to run as administrator
  • EmilyDB
    IronFly said:
    move the whole folder to C:
    then right click the flash64 file and choose to run as administrator
    When I ran it as administrator, the box where it updates would pop open then disappear. If I opened it regularly (not as an admin), it still said 'unable to load driver'
  • IronFly

1. It is NOT sufficient to right-click on flashx64.bat and run as administrator. You will error out.

2. The solution is to open a command prompt window with administrator privileges. To do this, right-click on the start menu icon, and click on command prompt (admin). This is a critical step.

3. Navigate to the folder where you saved the extracted files. 

4. Type flashx64.bat.

• EmilyDB
    When I did so, it says that 'flastx64.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
  • IronFly
    edited December 2017
    because you are not pointing to the correct folder on command prompt
    if you moved the WIN and ROM folders to C
    on command prompt type this
    cd C:\win
    then type
    FLASHx64.bat
  • EmilyDB
    IronFly said:
    because you are not pointing to the correct folder on command prompt
    if you moved the WIN and ROM folders to C
    on command prompt type this
    cd C:\win
    then type
    FLASHx64.bat

I did so, but I got the same message as I did by opening flashx64 the previous way. It still says 10 Error : unable to load driver. 
    I appreciate you taking so much time to help me with this, by the way. I just feel bad that it's not working.
  • IronFly
    edited December 2017
    can you please double check that your model is TC-780 and not TC-780A?

by the way, it's strange that not working, since other users reported a successful BIOS update running the command on  command prompt with admin rights.
  • EmilyDB
    Yes, is it TC-780

When I right click, there is nothing that said 'command prompt' (admin) so I opened it with Windows Key + R and typed in 'cmd' to open it, could that be where it went wrong?
  • EmilyDB
    Update! I was able to open the command prompt as an admin through the task manager, and was able to update the bios through your instructions that way. It now lists the BIOS date as 10/12/27 now.
  • IronFly
    Good!
    Check if your issue is fixed.
  • EmilyDB
    edited December 2017
    I didn't experience any 'regular' freezing since the update, however, I did get a totally blank screen after having the computer on for less than five minutes this morning. 

Could the blank screen be caused by the monitor and not the computer itself? One thing I've noticed is that the blank screen seems to be different colors now. Originally it would just turn white, but the other day it was bright pink (like the color scheme windows 10 set) and this morning it turned a lilac purple.