Acer Predator 17X GX-792-7448 freezes, crashes, then restarts while gaming

Options
BobRoss
BobRoss Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Anyone else have this issue? It is happening over and over to me...

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Can you please describe the issue in more detail? Does it restart immediately after you launch the game, or it happens after uncertain amount of time? What games this happens on? Does it display any error/BSOD before it restarts? Does it happen only when the laptop is set on 'turbo' preset or it happens on any preset? 

What are your CPU and GPU temperatures, while you are gaming? Download HWiNFO and record the temperatures during your gaming sessions. Post the average and maximum temperature of both CPU and GPU.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• BobRoss
    Options
    This freeze, restart, crash happens multiple times a day.  Sometimes it will happen when I launch a game, sometimes it will happen about halfway through the game (seems like an uncertain amount of time when it happens to me).  I will be playing a game, then all of the sudden my screen will freeze for 1-2 seconds, while the screen is frozen I can still hear the audio in the background, then after the 1-2 seconds is over my screen will go either pink, green, yellow, or black and then my computer will restart itself (it gives me no error message when this happens which is very frustrating as I have no idea where to start trouble shooting.  While gaming my GPU temperature rarely reaches 80 degrees celsius and the GPU normally stays a bit cooler than that.  I will try and get the average temperatures of a gaming session.  
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sounds like a graphics driver/hardware issue. Is it only happening when you game? Try using the custom option for a clean install and reinstall the latest NVIDIA drivers (388.71). And since this is the 17X, turn off any type of overclocking.

If you are willing, I would do a "Reset This PC" through Acer Care Center and see if that helps (use the default Windows installed drivers). If it does not, then you need to contact Acer Support. 

If temperatures are below 80C for both, then it would not be the temperatures.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • BobRoss
    Options
    Yes, this only happens when I game, the computer works perfectly fine whenever I am doing anything besides gaming (but I purchased this computer for gaming so this is a major issue).  I am gaming on the 'normal' clock settings and have never gamed on the 'faster' clocks.  I do not believe it is overheating...if I decide to "Reset This PC" what information will be lost from my computer??
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Reset This PC will delete any installed software (including games, browser, antivirus, etc.) and install all default drivers, but can keep files that are in your User folders (such as Downloads, Pictures, Desktop, etc.). It depends on the option you pick, delete everything or keep personal files.

Before doing that, go here: www.geforce.com/drivers/results/128425, download this driver which is the latest for GTX 1060-1080 GPUs. When installing, choose a clean install like so.

Restart your PC, and try playing again.

Add: As you can see, because I did this on my desktop (laptop has latest) I have been failing in keeping my GPU up to date. I will be doing that now. lmao

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • BobRoss
    Options
    I performed a clean installation of the graphics driver, first game of Overwatch I played I froze, crashed, and my computer restarted itself (so same exact thing).
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Have you done any undervolting on the CPU? Never mind, I would suggest you to try updating the BIOS. To check upur current BIOS version open run and enter msinfo32. You will find it in system summary. The newest BIOS version is 1.06v, which you can download here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7032?b=1

Before executing the installation make sure the battery is at 100% and laptop connected to charger. The device may restart several times during the installation, don't turn it off.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• GorillaSoup
    GorillaSoup Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Having this same exact problem, same model, right out of the box on Escape From Tarkov. Worked fine since I got it in January, just started this nonsense tonight. Curious if OP managed a fix.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Possibly a recent update to the system, worth looking at the Windows update history.  As recommended do a clean install of the NVidia drivers, I'd also be inclined to uninstall and reinstall PredatorSense as this clearly also has interaction with the GPU.  Do the both of you have NVidia Geforce Experience installed and enabled for auto update? Wouldn't be the first time graphic drivers have broken systems on an update, and there was a recent release.

For the braver of heart backup the system (Windows 7 Backup & Restore still works fine) onto an external drive.  Recover the notebook with Acer Recovery Management, avoid updates, install and try the same game this will prove or give a greater indication of any hardware failure.  You can then revert back to the system as it was by recovering the notebook from the previously made Windows 7 Backup & Restore System image.

As ever if unsure do not proceed :) especially without a confident backup, if the SSD is in RAID caution and discussion should be applied, before recovering the system.

Q-6
  • GorillaSoup
    GorillaSoup Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I hadn't touched the GPU drivers until last night when I tried that as a fix. The only recent thing that Windows update added was a QoL update that.... didnt seem to touch anything related, but who knows.

Might try the Predator sense reinstall, It seemed to happen after I was playing around with the overclocking feature there. That's the only thing "different" that's been done in the past week.

Failing all that I suppose just doing the full recovery is the next step. :/
  • JohnnySR15
    JohnnySR15 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    I have the same problem but with my Helios 300, while im playing it freezes then the Display crashes, like multicolor lines in the Screen, i cant hear audio And moments later it restar. I tried all the possible solutions shown but it dont work. 
  • JohnnySR15
    JohnnySR15 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Look, this is the issue. 
  • Nunomata
    Nunomata Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I also have the same problem

• codegrad
    codegrad Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have this exact issue (the full color screen, not the scattered screen pasted above).  Anything ever fix it? Never saw a resolution here. 
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Options

Hi @codegrad ,

Thank you for joining Acer community.

Here you can share your ideas, solutions and ask a question. 

It looks like you have commented in a older post. This may not get much attention from our community members. We request you to create a new topic by mentioning the issue in detail along with the unit model number. 

This would help users to address your concern at the earliest.

Note: This thread will now be closed.

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel

This discussion has been closed.