G3-605: Wi-fi no longer even an option after update to Window 10 version 1709?

Shadowurms
Shadowurms Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
Disclaimer: I'm no computer expert (like, at all).  So like the title says, I updated Windows 10 to version 1709 last night and I no longer have the ability to use Wi-Fi on my computer.  The computer does not even recognize that there is a Wi-Fi card at all.  Up until the update, I exclusively accessed the internet via Wi-Fi for the last two years so it was working.  The Wi-Fi still works on all the other devices in our house, so it's not an issue with the network.  The G3-605 will no longer see any available wireless networks and Wi-Fi is not even an option on Network Settings anymore.  The rig is still fitted with the original Qualcomm Atheros AR5822 WLAN device, and that is not listed on network devices anymore.  I suppose it's possible that the WLAN card just crapped out at the exact same time I did the update, but it feels unlikely.  I thought it might be a driver issue, so I tried using the install from the Acer website (even though the most recent update was 2015).  The install wizard said the card no longer exists or was ejected therefore it can't update.  I'm hesitant to crack open the box because 1) I don't know anything about hardware, and 2) I don't even know what I'm looking for.  The tower hasn't received any trauma, so I really doubt the card just decided to unplug itself.  Anyway, I'm at loss.  Any ideas?

Best Answer

• grabber
    grabber Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    ok, this may sound strange but I did not have internet access nor access to any networks.  I had restarted many times w/o success.  While trying to contact Acer, I pull the computer away from the wall looking for the S/N and unplugged the computer by mistake (btw, no help from Acer because it was out of the warranty period grrrrr)  I plugged my computer about 5 minutes later and lo and behold, the Wi-Fi reset itself and automatically reconnected me to the internet.  Go figure! 

Answers

• grabber
    I'm having the exact same thing after I accepted a Windows update!!!!  I hope there's a resolution.  
  • grabber
    Answer ✓
    ok, this may sound strange but I did not have internet access nor access to any networks.  I had restarted many times w/o success.  While trying to contact Acer, I pull the computer away from the wall looking for the S/N and unplugged the computer by mistake (btw, no help from Acer because it was out of the warranty period grrrrr)  I plugged my computer about 5 minutes later and lo and behold, the Wi-Fi reset itself and automatically reconnected me to the internet.  Go figure! 
  • Shadowurms
    Shadowurms Member Posts: 2 New User
    Whoa!  That actually worked for me too.  Like you, I had tried Troubleshooting 101 (turn off/on) many times.  The key is cutting all power, I guess.  Thanks so much for sharing!!!  
  • Milobeans
    Milobeans Member Posts: 1 New User
    Super  Genius ! Thank you! I have been so frustrated trying to find a fix to my disappearing WiFi since windows update. Restarted and shut down but didn’t actually unplug. Just unplugged it and It worked!  Thank you thank you!!
  • kecoyne
    kecoyne Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have unplugged, restarted, shut down and restarted again and STILL have no access to wifi. Acer (on phone) told me to go to site and update wireless lan.....NO IDEA how to do that!!! HELP>
  • Try this:
    a) Disable quick startup of the power options and turn off the desktop;

b) then unplug the desktop from the electrical outlet and press the power button for thirty seconds and leave the notebook unplugged for five minutes!
    c) then call and see if wifi is detected!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)