Upgrade SSDs in Predator Triton 700

Options
Jollytime
Jollytime Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2018 in Predator Laptops
I would like to upgrade the SSDs and install Windows fresh. But the installation doesn't recognize the Samsung Pro drives.
Is there a way to do this?

Answers

• Jstuart83
    Jstuart83 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Did you ever get this figured out?  I am also wanting to upgrade the ssd.
  • Slide1340
    Slide1340 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    I'm also interested in finding out. no help from acer yet...
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options
    Slide1340 said:
    I'm also interested in finding out. no help from acer yet...

Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name.
  • Slide1340
    Options
    Predator PT715-51
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Slide1340 said:
    Predator PT715-51

Hi,
    If your laptop came with SATA SSD, you can get a NVMe SSD, use MiniTool Partition wizard(Free) to migrate the OS to NVMe SSD, remove the original SSD and boot from the NVMe SSD. RAID 0 works with either SATA SSD+SATA SSD  or NVMe SSD+NVMe SSD.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/

• Slide1340
    Options
    Thank you brummyfan2. That was good info. When I upgrade the drives on this thing, I'll post how it goes.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Slide1340 said:
    Thank you brummyfan2. That was good info. When I upgrade the drives on this thing, I'll post how it goes.

You are welcome :)
  • Mweingar
    Mweingar Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    I am trying to do this as well but the reality is, Acer needs to give us access to the advanced settings in bios to be able to create and modify raid arrays. They lock this out by default. They seem to be unwilling to publish how to enable advanced bios settings. Your only other option that I can think of is to purchase an external M.2 raid enclosure, configure the drives, nd then put them into the laptop.  I am not sure that will work either.

Acer needs to respond with how to access the advanced bios is not user upgradable and I’ve wasted a lot of money.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Mweingar said:
    I am trying to do this as well but the reality is, Acer needs to give us access to the advanced settings in bios to be able to create and modify raid arrays. They lock this out by default. They seem to be unwilling to publish how to enable advanced bios settings. Your only other option that I can think of is to purchase an external M.2 raid enclosure, configure the drives, nd then put them into the laptop.  I am not sure that will work either.

Acer needs to respond with how to access the advanced bios is not user upgradable and I’ve wasted a lot of money.

Hi,
    Please wait for someone else to reply you with suggestions as I am not familiar with raid, sorry.
  • munkay
    munkay Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hello all

I am also very interested in this...

I have just bought a Triton 700 (1080MQ) with the 2x256GB RAID-0 array, and would like to upgrade this to 2x512GB Samsung 960 Pro drives - ideally as two separate disks/volumes, but would be OK with a similar RAID-0 array if it is going to be much simpler to do.

I have read elsewhere that people have upgraded to 2x2TB setups, so it must be possible somehow - I just don't want to start messing about with an external enclosure and buying additional hardware if it is going to be a pain. I was thinking of going the external thunderbolt RAID-0 enclosure route then using Acronis True Image - but I have little faith that this would be a smooth process...

ACER - surely someone in the company can help out with this as many people are asking about this!

...other than this - what an awesome laptop the 700 is  :)  
  • DanMelly
    DanMelly Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I would also like to know how to upgrade the NVMe SSDs on the Triton 700. I bought two 1TB Samsung 960 Evo NVMe SSDs and there doesn't seem to be any way to configure the new drives for RAID since the bios is locked down.
  • munkay
    munkay Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Dan - if you are intending using them in RAID 1 setup, then I would seriously question the need with the Pro Evo drives, they are extremely fast as is, and RAID 1 could possibly slow them down in some areas - and that's before you take in to account the doubled risk factory of a disk failing...

If you need redundancy, then fair enough going for another RAID array option.

If it helps, it would be very simple to get on of your drives up and running (and retain the two original disks with OS etc should anything go wrong!). All I did use the Acer backup to create a bootable/restore usb pendrive (i.e. 'Create Factory Default Backup' option), open up the laptop and remove the two OEM disks, and insert a single Samsung Pro Evo. When booting up from the pendrive, you can just factory restore to the new drive - it was really straightforward. I then just added back in a second disk and initialised it and have one for OS and one for Games.

Good idea to test the usb drive can boot before going ahead and removing the Lite-On drives - USB restore drives can be temperamental for some reason...  And open the case slowly once you have unscrewed the 13 screws - there are 2 ribbon connectors holding the keyboard in place. It is quite simple to remove/install drives without disconnecting these, just by moving the assembly across to the right.

Acer - someone really needs to address this more formally, it is clear that a high number of buyers want some light shed on the whole BIOS/RAID options for installing new drives! Surely someone can reply??
  • phatty101
    phatty101 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 2018
    Options
    Has anyone been able to move forward on this topic?  I am also looking to upgrade the capacity from the 2x256 Lite-On SSD (total 512 GB) to 1 or 2 Terabytes;  I spoke with Acer support about the ability to disable raid-0; and as most have commented -  there is no way from customer end-user perspective without Acer; but I'm sure Acer are unwilling to divulge on the method of changing/disabling raid if even possible.  

I wanted to see if folks have had any success (without messing with the controller) to..

1. add one single 1/2 TB SSD on the first slot while have the second slot empty
    2. add two single 1TB SSD covering both slots for a total storage of 2TB

Again, the Acer rep mentioned that these configs are not officially supported but "may work";  If those two options don't work the only option Acer confirmed would work is two identical SSD no larger then 512GB each for a total of 1TB of internal storage.
  • phatty101
    phatty101 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
  • Elgauchio
    Elgauchio Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    BIOS is fixed to RAID, no way to change but you can change to PRO 960. RAID is only a protocol, using it doesn't mean your drive will be added to an RAID array.
    but, there is a loophole:
    connect an sata output 1 ssd.
    theory:
    -1 ssd :pcie
    -2 ssd:sata
    so bios automatically deactivates raid.
    (supposedly it can be solved that there is only 1 ssd in the laptop)
    -1 slot : samsung pro 960 1tb
    -2 slot : nothing.
  • An9e11
    An9e11 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I just installed the two 2TB NVMe drives, formatted drive #0 and installed Windows, and then installed the Intel RST driver from the Triton 700 support/drivers page at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7352?b=1&pn=NH.Q2LAA.001&sn=NHQ2LAA001747164FB7600
    Finally I opened and used Intel RST to combine the two NVMe drives to create the RAID0 drive, and Intel RST then automatically migrated the data to the RAID0 drive after creating the volume. Hope this helps! See screenshot below.
  • MEMEyou
    MEMEyou Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I did it a little different.  I created a backup in acronis,  installed the nvmes, booted to win 10 media w/ rstcli and initialized the raid there  resand then restored.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    MEMEyou said:
    I did it a little different.  I created a backup in acronis,  installed the nvmes, booted to win 10 media w/ rstcli and initialized the raid there  resand then restored.
    Yes acronis also works great I used to use it but I think cloning with easeus it's the best of all

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• BSC
    BSC Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Has anyone tried downloading and installing the Samsung EVO drivers?  While looking into upgrading the storage I stumbled across an article saying that with some systems you have to install the drivers for the system to recognize the Samsung drives. I'm hoping to figure it out before wasting money and creating a headache.
  • popoyman
    popoyman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    An9e11 said:
    I just installed the two 2TB NVMe drives, formatted drive #0 and installed Windows, and then installed the Intel RST driver from the Triton 700 support/drivers page at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7352?b=1&pn=NH.Q2LAA.001&sn=NHQ2LAA001747164FB7600
    Finally I opened and used Intel RST to combine the two NVMe drives to create the RAID0 drive, and Intel RST then automatically migrated the data to the RAID0 drive after creating the volume. Hope this helps! See screenshot below.
    hello An9e11, if you don't mind...can you assist me how exactly you did this as I am new to upgrading using M2 NVMe...i'm planning to get the 2x1TB from Crucial. I have PT715-51 as well.