Acer Aspire, DEFICTS, BROKEN HINGES, CHEAP QUALITY, WARRANTY IS USELESS

aannouza
aannouza Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives

I bought the acer aspire v about 15 months ago at a retail shop. 15 months its makes it still a new laptop as I haved laptops last 4 years for me. I was impressed with specs and everything that came along with the computer but just recently I have had problems with hinges. As they have popped out and I can not unfortunately close my computer. When purchasing the acer I have had a lot of problems in the past such as the charger port and hinges before. The material used for this laptop was cheap plastic. As a student I do not have that much money as I am in debt for school, I spent a fair amount on this laptop about $1000. When purchasing this I assumed it was made properly and researched on how durable this laptop. I called in the company in which they do not even fix themselves, they instead sent me to a third party in which their trying to charge me $200 usd which converts into $250 cad. This would turn my original laptop into a $1250. Which at this price I could have gotten an Alienware or gaming computer with better specs and materials. I have bought over three acer laptops and always had a problem, and they never want to fix it or take the blame. My parents have had these problems with hp and they have simply sent them a replacement laptop free of charge. To my knowledge they discontinued my laptop model as they have found defects in it, and completely changed the design of the laptop. So as a customer they did not take back my model or gave me extended warranty on this laptop. As well I am finding that my laptop keyboard is splitting in half with the bottom part which I always have to put back in its place. When making a product and putting your name on it you want it to be the best and when you have to recall these from retail shops and not give anything to customers who bought originally is actually absurd. When researching more into this problem you find out that there are thousands of people with this problem. As I take care of my laptop properly I have bag that I always put it in, which makes it secure. Now with the customer service and how cheap the materials are I am never going to buy an acer again or recommended it to my friends, especially with the customer service.

Here are examples of people’s problems with this laptop and the company. They had a lawsuit against them because they did not properly install the memory into their laptops.  These people only owned these laptops for 6 months to a year and they were cracking and destroying. Just research broken hinge acer aspire and google makes millions of results.  I would never recommend acer as there are problems with hinges and charger.

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/acer-aspire-e1-571-hinge-loose.785357/

law360.com/articles/432468/acer-to-pay-23m-to-end-faulty-laptop-class-action

community.acer.com/en/discussion/249366/loose-screen-hinge-aspire-v5-571p

community.acer.com/en/discussion/298602/acer-aspire-v5-hinge-cracked-touchscreen

community.acer.com/en/discussion/296148/acer-laptop-left-side-screen-hinge-problem 

Answers

• wiiija
    wiiija Member Posts: 4 New User
    Paragraphs.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi aannouza,

Sorry to hear you have issues with your unit, can you please send me a private message with your serial number to better help you?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • dlmatera
    dlmatera Member Posts: 1 New User
    this same exact thing happened to me.. did this ever get fixed? customer support not helpful..
  • rockynz
    rockynz Member Posts: 4 New User

Acer-Manny - i am having the same problem with a broken hinge.  I returned the item to the store, who has sent it back to Acer for review.  It is 7 weeks outside of the warranty period!  they have said it will cost $265 to repair!  this is nearly 1/3 of the cost of the computer! I AM VERY UNHAPPY>  this is poor quality and poor service.  I rang the Acer 0800 and spoke to someone who sounded like they are in Mexico.  (I am in NZ).  I am FRUSTRATED that a component of a computer such as the hinge doesn't even outlast the keyboard (which is used more) or the batttery etc.  Acer should stand by their products and replace these hinges for Free.  i am happy to pay for the cost of shipping, but this is ridiculous.  of all of the computers i have owned, this is the first time this has happened and I won't be buying an Acer again.  (and your 0800 number offered me a 5% discount.  whoop - $13 whole dollars?  that won't even cost my time and petrol to pick it up!).. COME ON ACER - stick by your name and provide a product that can last the consumer a reasonable amount of time. 

• ダージリン様
    ダージリン様 Member Posts: 88 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I have vx5-591, and have similliar problem, Broken Hinge, glitching screen ( even tho I already send my laptop to the acer point, but the problem still persist ) -_-

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi dlmatera, what exactly you mean by customer support not helpful. When did you contact them and what was the outcome? When did you purchase this unit? Can u send me the serial number via PM please?

Hi rockynz, you have explained that the unit is 7 weeks outside of the warranty period, i don't know what exactly i can help you with? If you purchase an extended warranty in the store that could help, but any equipment outside off his warranty will have a fee for repair and that's on any electronic products. We will love to help you on this matter but it seems that your way out of the period that we can assist you under warranty, we can still help you as the support center recommended you by our out of warranty process. We apologize for any inconvenience this have cause. 

Hi ダージリン様, have you contacted Acer support to let them know that after the repair the problem persist? Can you please send me your serial number and a picture of the issues via PM please?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • rockynz
    i would suggest that most large companies, with a supposed reputation to maintain, would honour the repairs on a product, which was only 6 weeks beyond the 12 month period, and repair a component which is OBVIOUSLY FAULTY as so many people have complained about this.    Surely when these computers are assembled, one could assume they should last longer than 14 months, under careful, minimal use?  It wasn't used for work purposes.  This is just poor customer service.  and FYI - in New Zealand - the Consumer Guarantees Act provides a warranty to purchasers of products BEYOND THE STANDARD 12 months - it is stated that consumers have protection and are entited to a product "FIT FOR PURPOSE".  I'm really disappointed with Acer.
  • rockynz
    FOR INSTANCE - we also had a trampoline - cost about the same as the computer.  A component on that broke (faulty) - it was just beyond the 12  months again.  However the retailer and the supplier not only provided a replacement part but sent out a repair person to replace the component and never charged a thing!  Its about maintaining good customer service and being reasonable.  I wouldn';t be so annoyed if it was nearly 2 years.  but this is bulls***
  • izaaaa
    izaaaa Member Posts: 2 New User
    im having the exact problem with the left hinge which has broken after crackling and the screen is now separating on my aspire E5 15
  • rockynz
    thats the same computer I have.  Good luck getting it repaired.  I'd get on to it now, becuase it will just break off eventually and could risk damaging your screen.
  • Nac
    Nac Member Posts: 2 New User
    I baught an Aspire VX mid december of 2017 and I'm having the same problem. left hinge going out, seperating the frame from the display. fortunatly no display malfuunction so far but it may be just a matte of time befor that gets dammeged too.
    Bearly 6 months old and gettingn screwed over stupid problem like this!
    I was honestly more than satisfied with it up till now but I'll probably be staying away from acer from now on.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi Nac,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your unit.  Have you tried contacting the Acer tech support line for assistance?

Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• AkashAdhikary
    AkashAdhikary Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Had a very bad experience with acer, feel like being cheated, will never buy acer again.
    I bought an acer acer aspire 5 and the because of my good reviews 2 of my friends also bought the same model , but after 2 months its keyboard stopped workig , i had to run to the service centre for a month after which it got replaced, then within a month ist lcd diplay had lines on it , it it also got replaced and now within another months its lid had come out from the hinge the technician told that psrt is not approved by acer and it is chargeable to replace it , there is no history of any phisycal damage to my device , it it just 4-5 months  and it caused so many issues , my investment has gone waste it is a mental harrasment to repair the device everytime and it also causes a lot of hinderence in the work , never thought build quality would be so bad .. disappointed :( will never recomered it to any one 
  • imvarun23
    imvarun23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am also facing the same problem as I bought acer aspire a515 - 51g nine months ago and now the frame from the left side has broken . 
    NOw its not possible to open the laptop as the 2 broken parts get separated whenever i open the laptop . I read on some other acer community thread that a lot of people are facing this problem with acer laptops . Its very important for me to get this problem corrected asap as i am a college student. So team acer i am waiting for your reply. please provide a free replacement of the frame as this a fault in the design of the laptop (Because a lot of people are facing this same problem). Waiting for a urgent reply.
  • AkashAdhikary
    AkashAdhikary Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I too have the exactly the same problem, I have lost hope, I don't think Acer people are gonna help. We will have to get it done from somewhere else, the hinge and backpanel cost a lot, about 4k rupees each.
  • This content has been removed.
  • brett549
    brett549 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    I too am having this issue, it just started about a week ago but my screen is already separated.  I live on a small fixed income and a new laptop is nowhere in my limited budget.
  • mathar
    mathar Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have same problem, left hinge got broken. Not even two years for the laptop. I have lenevo for more than 5 years no such issue. Spend more than 1000$ on a laptop and now sitting with broken hinge. In my life never had a laptop whose hinge got brake.
  • birch39
    birch39 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same issue left hinge broke. i'm still under warranty. Do i need to contact support for them to fix?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired

Hi all,

If you need technical assistance you can go to our page https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers (you all need to contact local Acer support channel for assistance). 

Note: This thread will now be closed. 

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.