How do I boot to BIOS after HDD replacement?

Arjay2000
Arjay2000 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Aspire M5-5838-9688 original HDD crashed and was replaced with new per my client.  Obviously the system will not boot, and I am unable to boot to the USB ports because I can't access BIOS through F12, F2 or tapping del key on startup.  I've ordered the original USB thumb drive with factory image (due to arrive 12/22) but I'm concerned it won't boot to the USB port.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Follow @JordanB instructions and then create a proper bootable USB flash drive.

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• Arjay2000
    Arjay2000 Member Posts: 2 New User
    BTW, the system will access the Boot Manager screen, but there are no options to select.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @Arjay2000

My advice is to......

1. Temporarily disconnect the HDD that your client installed.
    2.  reassemble laptop with HDD disconnected
    3. Turn on computer and tap F2 to access BIOS.
    4.  Load BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    5.  Go back in to BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu and save/exit.
    6.  reconnect HDD.

If the above 6 steps don't work, you may also have to disconnect battery and AC charger to reset battery.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Follow @JordanB instructions and then create a proper bootable USB flash drive.

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device