Error trying to install Ubuntu in Aspire A51

Options
Sebasducas
Sebasducas Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS from a USB Stick but after I get into the BIOS and set the boot from the USB and run the installation, the system froze and a message appears:
[15.381794]EFI: Problem loading in-kernel X.509 certificate(-65)
[15.381839]EFI: Problem loading in-kernel X.509 certificate(-65)

What I'm doing wrong?

I would like to do a double booting with Ubuntu and Windows 10.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This is how you install Ubuntu as dual boot on **most** Acer laptops with Insyde H2o UEFI.  I don't know if it will work on your laptop since I don't own your laptop.

1. Create a USB factory default recovery drive and put in a safe place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKn87nk0F4

2. Back up any important personal files.
    3. Go in to Windows Disk Management and shrink your C drive by at least 35 GB so you have some unallocated space to install Ubuntu
    4.. make sure you have the latest BIOS

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

5. Create Ubuntu installation media with rufus (use the settings as shown on the rufus home page)
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

6.  Go in to BIOS settings and set a supervisor password and enable the F12 boot menu and make sure secure boot is enabled and then save/exit.
    7. Go back in to BIOS settings.  Insert your Ubuntu USB media.  Add Grub to the trusted secure boot settings. And save/exit
    8.  Boot your Ubuntu USB by tapping the F12 key at Acer boot logo screen.
    9. Install Ubuntu

If my instructions don't make any sense, then check out the post below.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Sebasducas
    Options
    Thank you for your replies @JordanB and @JackE

I did all your steps but they didn't solve the problem. I even update the BIOS to the latest version (v1.06, I had the V1.03) and added the grubx64.fi to trusted boot sources (i don't remember the exact name). When I hit the "Try Ubuntu" this is what I get:

Any idea?
  • JordanB
    edited December 2017
    Options
    deleted not relevant to problem post.
  • JordanB
    Options
    Or maybe you just need to start over from the beginning.  I don't know.  Impossible for me to say without owning your computer model....and being there sitting down at your computer.  I could tell you in 15 seconds if the problem is with your UEFI or user error.  I simply don't know.

When I learned how to install ubuntu, I simply read the post below.  Nothing else.  I just followed his instructions.  Maybe skip my instructions and follow his.  That's all I've got.  Sorry.

• JordanB
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Sebasducas

Since your computer is so new, you should really be installing Ubuntu 17.10

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/1710
  • Sebasducas
    Options
    @JordanB

I did this: security>select an UEFI file as trusted for executing>USB0 (where I had the Ubuntu iso)>EFI>boot>grubx64.efi>I named it as Ubuntu
    Security boots>enable

As an Boot priority order I set
    1. EFI FIle Boot0:Ubuntu
    2. Windows 10
    3. USB HDD:scsi Disk

When I reboot and hit F12, three choices appear so I select Ubuntu. Next the computer restarts and Windows is load. If i choice the USB device in F12 menu i get the error mentioned above. What I'm doing wrong?

I will download Ubuntu 17.10 as you suggested and try it. Maybe that could solve the problem. I will let you know.

Thanks!
  • JordanB
    Options
    Ok sounds good.  Keep us posted.
  • JordanB
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Sebasducas

One other thing that I thought of.  Please don't change your boot order until after you get Ubuntu installed.  It's not even absolutely necessary to change your boot order even after you get Ubuntu installed.  Sometimes I don't change it.  When I want Ubuntu, I just tap the F12 key at boot.

• Sebasducas
    Options
    @JordanB

I successfully installed Ubuntu 17.10. Thanks for your advice!!

• JordanB
    Options
    @Sebasducas

You're welcome.  Good job!
  • Gwynbleidd96
    Gwynbleidd96 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello every body,
    i have the same problem on a Kali installation (error with certificates X.509...), i have understood that the secure boot is the problem but i can't select a trusted file in my bios ! 
    Here a list of pictures when i try to lauch the Live version : 

And above a picture of my bios and the option "select trusted file" grayed out... 
    My laptop is the aspire A715-71G-56YF, my bios is up to date, i have Windows 10 installed and my usb stick is mounted with Etcher.

Sorry for bad english and thank you ! 
  • JackE
    Options
    Your BIOS setup is one issue. The other issue is the Kali installation itself. But this thread is more than 2 years old. So please start your own thread for better exposure to other users and include your full ACER model number. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gwynbleidd96
    Gwynbleidd96 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Your BIOS setup is one issue. The other issue is the Kali installation itself. But this thread is more than 2 years old. So please start your own thread for better exposure to other users and include your full ACER model number. Thanks. Jack E/NJ

Sorry i didn't seen the date, actually i have finally succeeded to install Kali, i have just try with another usb key (sandisk) and it works. Thank you !
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ