Add eGPU to Elios 300??

Emyx19
Emyx19 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi! Can i add an external gpu for example aorus gaming box?? 
I need the thunderbolt 3.0....but elios ony usb type-c

Any ideas??

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Helios 300 has GTX 1050Ti or GTX 1060(I don't know which one you have). You don't need an external GPU, plus without thunderbolt 3 it isn't going to work.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Emyx19
    Emyx19 Member Posts: 2 New User
    ven98 said:
    Helios 300 has GTX 1050Ti or GTX 1060(I don't know which one you have). You don't need an external GPU, plus without thunderbolt 3 it isn't going to work.
    I have gtx1060, but i need a little.more power to more powerfull games
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    In my opinion GTX 1060 is perfect for 1080p 60fps gaming. You might have to disable AA in some games. I have heard that you don't get the full performance out of the eGPU.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Honestly, if you are wanting that hard core of gaming and graphics, you should have purchased a desktop computer rather than a laptop. While laptop gaming technology is getting better, it still will not compare to a desktop PC where temperatures and power are not an issue (unless you buy a $3000+ laptop).

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • eunkle
    eunkle Member Posts: 1 New User
    I think that this is a legitimate question. I am about to buy a Predator 17 GTX 1070. I travel at least 6 month of the year for work so as much as I would love to build a desktop it just doesn't make sense. I know that this is a very powerful graphics card and that I don't have to worry about its performance for at least two or three years, but when games do eventually start catching up it would be nice to have an option for a newer external GPU when I am home for say $700 instead of spending another $2000 for a whole new laptop. Any information on this would be really appreciated!  

Thanks,

Unk
  • Shayd
    Shayd Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    You possibly could do this mod, yes. You would have to lose your WiFi or M.2 SSD drive though. This is also more of a modification for older notebooks, or notebooks without a dedicated GPU, as you wouldn't get the full performance of the card.

...That being said, I do know someone who is working on an eGPU for the Helios 300, and would have little(or no) performance loss, even beating out the TB3 designs.

Here's a video(not mine) if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fO5uQeLZtU&vl=en
  • Capmalo
    Capmalo Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Yes you theoricaly can, using the NGFF slot used by Wifi adapter or the M2 slot if it's NVME (my PH317-51 have M2 SATA ). But you will lose the Wireless capability (Wifi AND Bluetooth) or the SSD.

Plus you need to open the whole back of the computer, and keep it open or make a hole for the cable.

If you want to do it anyway, search EXP GDC NGFF or NVME on Google.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    eunkle said:
    I think that this is a legitimate question. I am about to buy a Predator 17 GTX 1070. I travel at least 6 month of the year for work so as much as I would love to build a desktop it just doesn't make sense. I know that this is a very powerful graphics card and that I don't have to worry about its performance for at least two or three years, but when games do eventually start catching up it would be nice to have an option for a newer external GPU when I am home for say $700 instead of spending another $2000 for a whole new laptop. Any information on this would be really appreciated!  

Thanks,

Unk
    Graphic cards don't not become outdated in a year. They stick on for atleast 3-5 years. Only compromise you'll need to do though is reducing on your graphics settings, and this is true for any item you buy. You can expect games to work atleast at mid level settings on 1070 atleast until 2021. Game developers stand to lose if they target only current year graphics cards.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045