Acer VL7860 Defective - all models

Options
Jonas_h
Jonas_h Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 27 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I just bought the Acer VL7860 projector and unfortunately there is a defect on this model - not just my unit but a general defect on all models. I can see on various forums around the world that people are experiencing this.

When enabling Dynamic Black, a function which dims the light in dark scenes to improve contrast/black level, the projector goes completely dark even though there is content in the image. A recording of the issue is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biB64uFXBdc

Further more, AcuMotion and AcuColor does not work when the projector is playing 24hz content.

I have talked to Acer support regarding this, and they do not acknowledge whether or not it is an error and they will not forward my feedback unless I send in my projector for debugging. I'm very puzzled about this, as I would assume that Acer has access to other Acer projectors without the need for me to send in mine to be without a projector in the time while they fix their software.

Just want to have some focus on this issue to accelerate fix-time.

Best Answer

Answers

• satdream
    satdream Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I confirm that French a community of Acer VL7860 owners (we're ~8 peoples) have all the same issue with the Dynamic Black, configured at too high average level of picture black (~R48:G48:B48) switching off the laser power. 

The reseller Cinemotion Luxembourg (who sold the 8 VL7860 to our French community) contacted officialy Acer support two times, then communicate video etc.

Now all customers are waiting a solution (firmware update)

Btw, the Optoma UHZ65 on same baseline have NOT this issue, and provide MORE COMPLETE parameters by user (laser power configurable, Dynamic Black levels etc.)

From EU consumers regulation perspective, the Dynamic Black bug is an HIDDEN DEFECT, cover by mandatory solving or return to manufacturer.

VL7860 new customers are waiting official feedback on issue solving, instead a potential class action will be engage against Acer.
  • AUFR
    AUFR Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I confirm too, I have the same problem with my VL7860; the Dynamic black option is not operational. And, also,  the Acumotion is not available with the 24P videos (4K and fullHD). This two options was operational with the previous firmware but not with our version.
    Acer was informed by our seller. We are waiting for a response and an update of this defect firmware as soon as possible
    Kind regards
  • Safe
    Safe Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi,

i'm a french user of the ACER VL7860 and i make the same conclusion :

there is an abnormal function of the dynamic black function. With some test patterns, it is very easy to reproduce the problem. If on a video sequence whose average brightness does not exceed the value of 48 (on a scale of 256) is viewed on the ACER (HDMI 1 or 2) , then the laser is cut and there is no more visible image. This is a problem because the laser locks several times during a viewing and the Dynamic black feature is also a highlight of this video projector.

Thank you to ACER for taking into account my request and propose a fix that no longer cuts the laser on dark scenes if the dynamic black is activated.

Best regards,

SAFE

• Jogard
    Jogard Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi,

First of all sorry for my english, i'm french.
    I am one of the 8 buyer of the Acer VL7860.

Like everybody else i've the same bug :

- Dynamic black shutting down the laser --> Black screen
    - Acumotion @24hz not activable.

Furthermore like said by Satdream : "the Optoma UHZ65 on same baseline have NOT this issue, and provide MORE COMPLETE parameters by user (laser power configurable, Dynamic Black levels etc.)

Like my friends i'm hoping for a quick driver update, if not i entend to use the hidden defect warranty.

Thanks

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello all,

I am sorry to hear you all are having the same issue with your projectors and apologized for the any inconveniences.  We have received this concern and it’s been reported to the appropriate department and we’re working on a fix for it. We’ll update the topic when we have more information to provide.

Thank you,      

Acer-Manny   

• Plouf1er
    Plouf1er Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hello all,

I am sorry to hear you all are having the same issue with your projectors and apologized for the any inconveniences.  We have received this concern and it’s been reported to the appropriate department and we’re working on a fix for it. We’ll update the topic when we have more information to provide.

Thank you,      

Acer-Manny   

dear Acer team,

you can find outstanding tests of this projector, despite at least a better out-of-the-box calibration that you should implement. please consider give a better calibration of the projector out of the box.

the excellence award of this model has been removed in this test, ant the score reduced. those will be restored as soon as the bug is be solved.

this test is here : http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2017/10/22/test-acer-vl7860-dlp-4k-laser/

the guy who tested is very active on the site. you should contact him.

one more thing, is possible... calibration have to be done for HDR and non HDR. please add at least one more user setting memory please ! ;-)

thank you for reading us...
  • Jogard
    Options
    Hi Acer-Many and thanks for your answer.

By anychance, can we dream of having the same capacity of "laser intensity" like the optoma UHZ.

Without it the videoprojector is very noisy, a lot of people use the optoma with 65% intensy in order to make "silent".
    It would be a HUGE update if we can do the same thing. 

Thank for reading
  • satdream
    Options

Hello all,

Thank you,      

Acer-Manny   

Many thanks considering this bug, and btw different updates suggested regarding parameters and options (compared with the UHZ65 brother).

Important point to consider is also the capacity for your end-users to update firmware regularly by themself (via usb input) ... a nice feature that most competitors provides.

Thanks to keep us aware of any solving/update !
  • hiroko83
    hiroko83 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi all,

Same issue here , let's hope Acer will release a fix that can be installed on our own :-)
  • Jogard
    Options
    Hi,

I know that isn't the best time of the year for "work" but do we have any news about our bug correction and improvement request ?
  • AUFR

Tinkerer

Options

Hello all,

Thank you,      

Acer-Manny   

Hi Manny,

some news ? bugs fixed ? new firmware ? how will it available ?
    kind regards
    Francis
  • Nicolas1963
    Nicolas1963 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Device already ordered will be received in two weeks. The bug of laser and acumotion not available in 24hz concerns all the projectors of this reference? when a solution?
    Regards,
    Nico

• Chris78
    Chris78 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi, any update on this?
    Could you please tell us what will be included with this new firmware? (many people are currently making their buying decision based on this, especially when they have the choice with a very similar product (optoma UHZ65) which is TODAY fully operational...)
    Kind regards
  • Jonas_h
    Jonas_h Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Really good that you (Acer) are aware of this problem.

I started the thread with the hope of getting an expected fix date as I really wanted to keep the Acer (Better adjusted out of the box compared to the Optoma for example), but with no date in sight, I have sent the Acer back and bought an Optoma UHZ65 instead.

I really hope that quality control and user testing will be prioritized in the future to avoid losing customers.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, we are still working to get the firmware update, once we get more information we will update this post. 

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • dayon
    dayon Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I wanted to know acer vl7860 when it will be distributed and if everything will be ok.
  • AUFR

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,
    good news, do you have more informations about this new firmware ? 
    bug of dynamic black fixed ?
    bug of acumotion (24hz) fixed
    new or updated options ?

regards,

Francis
  • satdream
    Options
    Hi Acer-Manny,

many thanks, but no firmware available directly to end-users in order to update as standalone ?!?

Do you consider that every unit to be bring back for simple update to Acer office ?

Very surprising, assuming that it's common to organize firmware update by customers as their own, and that those customers expect regular updates as with any home-video equipments ... but not having to return to Acer office

Could you please confirm ?
    Thanks.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Options
    Hi AUFR,

The firmware update has to be done on your local Acer service center.

Salute,
    Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.