Veriton X4630G Boot Issue (3 -3 Beep)

Options
Sporky
Sporky Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Yes, fairly similar to the other thread but I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread for a seemingly similar, but potentially different, issue.

Computer will not boot. No display, no POST, nothing but beeps.
Has a repeating beep code. 3-Beep Pause 3-Beep Pause Pause Pause

For the below I'm only trying with single RAM chip as that's what the system came with.
Easier to troubleshoot as well.

Tried re-seating RAM in different slots. Same 3-3 Beep.
Tried replacing existing RAM with new RAM; multiple different slots. Same 3-3 Beep each time.
Tried unplugging DVD and removing RAM entirely. Single Solid Beep
Tried removing CMOS battery, press power button twice, let sit 5 minutes, put new RAM back in then turned on. Same 3-3 Beep.

Any other thoughts on the matter of what might be wrong?
My gut says I've overlooked something simple, or motherboard is toast.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    no HDD/DVD and just RAM, always 3 beeps?

can be a motherboard issue, like the RAM controller.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    no HDD/DVD and just RAM, always 3 beeps?

can be a motherboard issue, like the RAM controller.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Sporky
    Sporky Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Yep, 3-3 Beep still.
    MB issue is what I figured but was hoping not... only a few months past warranty. Figures.
    Thanks for the quick reply.
  • GaryRos
    GaryRos Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Have you find a solution, i have the same problem with  4 years old Veriton N4620G, Eventually it boots after 10-15 minutes after 3-3 beeps intervals. I replace the RAM card, doesn't matter.
    Thanks 
  • scribe01
    scribe01 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Same problem with a Gateway ZX678-UB21P All-in-One with ACER IPSB-AG D33D66 N14939 Motherboard. Will not recognize first 64k of RAM. Works ok as monitor through HDMI port, but will not boot. Where is the RAM controller? Can it be purchased and replaced?
  • asierdo
    asierdo Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    Acer Veriton X4630G year 2016. Same problem, 3 beep - 3 beep all the time. Sometimes it boots after 20- 30 minutes. Any solution ? 
    Thanks in advance,
    Asier.
  • GaryRos
    GaryRos Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Replaced RAM, re-glued CPU, changed CMOs, ended up buying new comp.
  • asierdo
    Options
    It seems that this issue happens very frequently. Acer must know what is wrong in MB.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Well, I don't think "very frequently" is a good description for this number of complaints after getting something like 7 years under it's belt... :)
    I believe the Acer BIOS used on these machines was AMI based, which points to an error in the first 64KB of memory with the three fast beeps. That either means bad memory or a bad memory controller. Since the memory controller is part of the chipset if it's that you are looking at a replacement motherboard, which is likely to actually mean a replacement computer. Even a five yer old system is going to be better than this 2013 design, and likely cheaper than replacing enough stuff to get you back up and running. If it's bad memory it can either be the actual memory or the socket the memory plugs into. Try using air to blow out the dust around the memory sockets and then reseat the DIMMs a couple of times to wipe any accumulated corrosion off.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • asierdo
    Options
    Yes, it is AMI based Bios. I blow out the memory and its sockets. They look clean. All contacts are good, there are not corrosion points. 
    I test some others RAM memories but issue persists. 
    Where is exactly memory controller located in the motherboard ?
    Best regards. 
  • billsey
    Options
    The memory controller isn't a discrete chip, it's part of the B85 chipset used in the X4630G motherboard. I believe the B85 is a single chip, probably that one over by the x16 slot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • asierdo
    Options
    If I change the i5 4440 cpu could I resolve it ? 
  • billsey
    Options
    Nope. The chipset works with several different processors, all from the same family, but the chipset itself isn't replaceable as such, you have to upgrade to a different motherboard. That means replacing the motherboard to one that supports more ram, replacing the CPU to one that supports the new motherboard and likely replacing the memory itself because the new motherboard will most likely use different memory speed than the original.
  • asierdo
    Options
    Where is exactly located RAM controller chip? Which chip is in the motherboard? 
  • billsey
    Options
    billsey said:
    The memory controller isn't a discrete chip, it's part of the B85 chipset used in the X4630G motherboard. I believe the B85 is a single chip, probably that one over by the x16 slot.
    I already gave you that info. :)
  • asierdo
    Options
    Thank you billsey.
    Is there any other motherboard compatible with i5-4440 processor ? Idon't find new B85D01-6KS3H to buy.
  • billsey
    Options
    Try searching on the Acer part number instead: DB.VGRC1.001.