Acer GN276HL monitor - Overdrive always on - a blurry, grainy effect when moving in-game camera

Options
slipcollide
slipcollide Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi all

I have a Acer GN276HL monitor and i am experiencing the following issue:

1. When the monitor is switched on 'Overdrive' is in effect despite being set to 'Off’ in the On Screen Menu-this causes a clearly visible 'grainy' and ‘blurry’ effect on in-game scenery, backgrounds and textures when moving the camera around. It can also be seen out of game when browsing in apps-scrolling from left to right and even on things like the pop out notification bar on the Windows 10 desktop when this scrolls in and out.
2. I then have to go into the OSM and change the 'Overdrive' setting to either 'Normal' or 'Extreme' then leave this menu.
3. I then have to go back into the OSM and set 'Overdrive' to 'Off' again-the effect is then no longer visible
4. If the monitor goes into stand-by or is turned off this process has to be repeated every single time.

I am connecting via the supplied DVI-D (Dual Link) cable although i have tested an HDMI cable with the same results. I use a Geforce GTX 970 GPU. I have had my PC hooked up to a 1080P TV via HDMI and i did not experience this issue.

I have noticed from the forums that other users have and are experiencing this same issue. Has anyone had this issue resolved? Has anyone been given a solution to this issue despite going through the above motions each time the monitor has been powered on? I have sent my monitor off for repair twice. The first time it stated that the 'main board' was replaced but no reason was given for this. The second time it was with the repair team for 2 weeks and they stated that they could not find a fault-that was around 3 weeks in total. The repair team are currently looking into the issue but i thought in the meantime i would ask around to see if anyone else has found out any further information.

Many thanks to you all

Ian

Answers

• Qwaser
    Qwaser Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have the same issue with my KG251Q.
    This overdrive setting, if I turn it off, it creates a blurry effect when panning the camera in game.
    When set to normal, it creates an inverse ghosting/overshoot trailing effect to fast moving objects.
    When set to extreme, then its like the normal effect x10. Making me dizzy to look at.
    I have searched all over the forums and all over the internet, a lot of people is having the same problem, there seems to be no fix whatsoever and Acer is not taking this issue very seriously. 
    If anyone have a solution or any kind of temporary fix. I don't mind hacking the monitor or anything, this has been bothering over a week now. I can't play any games, because it makes me nauseating. 

Thanks,
  • slipcollide

Tinkerer

Options
    It sounds like a very similar issue to my own Qwaser. I have noticed as i have been browsing the forums that other models suffer with this too. It seems very odd that this is not affecting all users of the same model-or maybe it is and either people haven't noticed or have just not voiced their concerns. It seems like such an odd fault. I don't experience any issues once the 'Overdrive' setting has been reset to 'Off'-the image is second to none in my opinion-jaw-dropping in fact which is why it is so frustrating. I noticed a few people mentioned that they had accessed the factory menu but they were still unable to fix the issue. It all points to a firmware issue in my opinion-surely this could be updated and released-the monitor clearly works-it just gets confused about what it's 'Overdrive' feature should be doing. I will, of course, keep you updated on the progress of my repair and hopefully this will help others like me. So far i have been told that it is not a 'known fault' and that they are trying to replicate my set up. I know i'm not going mad here so i hope Acer can resolve this little annoyance. This is the first product of theirs that i have owned and i truly don't want it to be the last.
  • Qwaser
    Options
    As far as I know, this Overdrive function is for gaming purposes, it is suppose to reduce the response time by overshooting pixels. However, the three setting that it has is not enough. (Off, Normal, Extreme) I need a setting somewhere between Off and Normal. Most people just returned the monitor and bought a different one. I am not a person who likes to return purchases, I want to figure out how I can fix it. This is also my first monitor purchase from Acer, very disappointed. 
  • slipcollide

Tinkerer

Options
    That's what i read too Qwaser-oddly, in my case, 'Overdrive' actually makes things worse. When it is eventually set to 'Off' it works perfectly. I am exactly the same as you-i bought the monitor for a reason-that reason being it ticked all the boxes for me and was at a price point i was more than happy to pay. I have no issue with the performance of the monitor when set up correctly-the picture is stunning so i'd rather get to the bottom of it. People have to give Acer a chance to fix their faults otherwise it's a little unfair. I have been informed that my fault cannot be replicated and the repair centre will need it to be sent in again. It will be overseen by the Centre Manager and Technical Manager so i guess we will see how this goes. I think this will be the last time i send it in-after that i will have to accept that it is the way it is. Has yours been into the repair centre yet Qwaser?
  • Qwaser
    Options
    I have not. From my research, this issue is not caused by the hardware. It is more software side and how the manufacturers deal with it. Other companies have settings like ULMB, LightBoost, or TraceFree to deal with the motion blur. I don't know what Acer have to deal with this, or maybe my monitor does not have that setting. I am just hoping their is a firmware upgrade of sorts that unlocks more settings. *sighs*
  • Sky_Sweeper
    Sky_Sweeper Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Just wanted to state that I just got this monitor for christmas, and this issue was driving me crazy. While the act of constantly having to change the Overdrive setting manually on the monitor is a pain, having a way to fix it makes it leagues better. I can't return the monitor, as it was a gift and and expensive one, so i was kind of panicking. Hopefully something is done in the software side to fix this, but i highly doubt that will happen. in any case, Thank you to the original poster for informing me about the Overdrive setting being the cause of this issue. 
  • slipcollide

Tinkerer

Options
    You are welcome Sky_Sweeper-i'm happy i've helped.
    I, like you, don't believe this issue will ever be fixed. I have been informed, again, that the engineers cannot see any fault with the monitor and have asked for the specs of my rig. If the fault is not being acknowledged i can't see them rushing out a fix any time soon. May i ask what set up you use-for example your GPU? I highly doubt it has anything to do with that but i thought i'd ask out of interest.
  • slipcollide

Tinkerer

Options
    So...my monitor is to be returned back to me after it's third visit to the repair centre. I have again been told that there is 'no fault'. It will not be going back in a forth time. I have not been offered any further escalation options or any additional avenues to take so it looks like i just have to 'shut up and put up'. This is incredibly disappointing. I have nothing to gain by making up a fault and being without my monitor for over a month-if i wanted to be rid of it i would just sell it. I have tested all my equipment and there appears to be no issues with it whatsoever. All i can say is that i gave Acer a chance and they let me down. It will certainly make me think twice in the future before buying any other Acer products. Now all i'm left with is a faulty monitor with some additional scratches so it no longer appears as-new....thanks. Sorry i cannot be of any further help to anyone-it appears i have hit a road block. If anyone has any further info please let me know.