Switch 12 Keyboard Replacement

partyp1g
partyp1g Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have an Alpha Switch 12 (Model: SA5-271-55Q6 / NT.LCDAA.002). I am having a problem that while typing on the laptop it will activate the touchpad. I know for a fact that my palms are not hitting the trackpad as when I "hunt and peck" i have the same issue. As well, while scrolling on the trackpad it will start to highlight and drag.This could be highlight the website that I am on and trying to drag the text or it could be files in explorer, etc. I have reinstall Windows 10, updated the BIOS and drivers and I am still having the same problem. 

I do not want to send the laptop back unless I have to. I use it for school/work and want to be without it for as little time as possible. So, is there a way to verify the issue OR is there a replacement keyboard I can get? I looked on the Acer store but couldn't find it. When I phoned Acer support they said to look on eBay or Amazon as they couldn't help, they couldn't even give me the replacement model number of the keyboard.

If someone knows the keyboard model number, or one that will work with my laptop I would be grateful. I will then look on the store, Amazon, eBay, etc for a replacement. 

Thank you. 

Answers

• steacher
    steacher Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue, I think it may be a hardware issue, not software. Does this happen regularly? For me, it only happens once in a while. Have you found a solution to the problem?
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    partyp1g 

That maddening occurrence is usually the result of accidentally brushing the touchpad with your thumb, relocating the cursor in the process. One option is to plug in a USB mouse, but even that doesn't always do the trick: Some laptops leave the touchpad enabled even when there's a mouse present.

Try connecting an external USB keyboard and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Please try these steps:
    >>Start by opening the Control Panel and then double-clicking Mouse. If you see a Device Select tab, click it and enable Disable TouchPad when USB pointing device is present.
    You will find options such as ‘disable touchpad when an external USB pointing device is connected‘ which is helpful if you use a USB mouse and want to disable the touchpad when a USB mouse is connected.
    You can look into the sensitivity settings for the touchpad and lower the sensitivity a bit. Although this doesn’t solve the problem in its entirety it helps to reduce it.

To keep accidental touches from making the cursor jump while you’re typing, you can set the delay before taps work, turn taps off, or turn the touchpad off.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • switch
    switch Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

have you tried the Microsoft foldable keyboard. it is slim and connects via bluetooth
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Simply press Fn+F7 to toggle the touchpad off like I do on my SA12. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• partyp1g
    I appreciated all the feedback but these comments do no fix this issue. 

Is there a place to just buy a replacement keyboard and have it shipped to Canada? This tablet is out of warranty now, and pretty much unusable with they keyboard attached. I would just like to buy a keyboard so I can at least salvage the $1000+ computer I have sitting around. 
  • partyp1g
    steacher said:
    I have the same issue, I think it may be a hardware issue, not software. Does this happen regularly? For me, it only happens once in a while. Have you found a solution to the problem?
    This is definitely hardware as it does this even when booted from a Windows installation USB or a Linux Live USB. It does it randomly so trying to pinpoint it is almost impossible. As for Acer, it's also very frustrating to get replacement parts, and since I am in Canada they will not ship me just the keyboard, which I am willing to pay for. 
  • JackE
    @partyp1g As a temporary fix until we can find you a new keyboard, I like @switch 's suggestion of a wireless KB, BT or otherwise. Some are less than $20 with free shipping. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    The US International KB dock part # is NK.I1213.03Z. A google search turns up several vendors with prices ~$100 with free shipping. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• partyp1g
    JackE said:
    The US International KB dock part # is NK.I1213.03Z. A google search turns up several vendors with prices ~$100 with free shipping. Jack E/NJ

Thank you for the number. The 4 that I have tried are all out of stock and do not have an ETA for replacement. Is there any option to purchase directly from Acer? Or do you know of a seller that ships to Canada and has them in stock? Even the Canadian keyboard would work at this point. 
  • JackE
    This place has a good rep and may be able to help http://www.grandtech.ca/parts.html  Use the contact link or give them a call. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ