Does the A515-51G-53F6 REALLY have an IPS screen? AIDA64 says no...? Confused w/ terminology

enzoofthejungle
enzoofthejungle Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I bought my computer from Newegg over Black Friday. Trying to calibrate my screen, I used the benchmark utility AIDA64 to find the maker/model of the monitor (the driver is the generic Microsoft pnp one, which unfortunately doesn't have an .icm color profile).

AIDA reports that the screen on my computer is a BOE Hydis NT156FHM-N41. 

I googled it, hoping to find a driver, and found that it is a "a-Si TFT-LCD, LCM" monitor, listed clearly on some sites as a TN (i.e., not IPS).  However, I did a little more research, and now I'm totally confused. I found the info below here:

The a-Si refers to the type of connection, apparently, and I couldn't find anything that conclusively stated that a TFT-LCD LCM monitor is necessarily not an IPS

I was able to dig up a free copy of the manufacturer's spec guide (see here). But I really can't make heads or tails of it.

Can someone with some monitor know-how look this over and clarify whether it has been mis-advertised and is a TN or whether it is an IPS?

Also, if there is an actual driver for the panel, that would be great. I need accurate color for graphics (hence the need for an IPS).

Thank you. 

Best Answer

Answers