Acer Predator G9-593 buzzing noise coming from speakers under full load (With Video)

Answers

• Theraphosidae
    Theraphosidae Member Posts: 3 New User
    Rares95 said:

Cooling DOES help, if you run your fans at full speed it might make it go away.

The thing is - it gets worse with time, after 6 months since I first heard it it got to a point where even on Idle ~40*C would start buzzing. Also transferring files would trigger this.

You could send Acer an email asking for a quote on the repair.

Cheap 'workarounds' are:
    Cover your speakers, stuff the chamber with something that prevents the speakers from actually vibrating, unplug speakers.

Though the cause is still unknown, I wouldn't consider this a permanent fix

Thanks, i will try to quote for them. Because if the price is tooo high, i would better buy a new one :) But still do not know, should i take new Acer, or take another :)

But the story is, that i had the same noise not only when i use the speakers, but also when i use the headsets, so for me, i don't think i have a cheap solution.
  • Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Yes, if you read everything (i know it's a lot yes), you'd see this happens even when using headphones. It has nothing to do with using the speakers. But some circuit is bleeding out signals to the speakers for sure.
  • vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    400-500USD for the motherboard, as i see: http://www.laptopinventory.com/ModelDetail.php/Acer/Predator 15/G9-593-71EH/Motherboards ~ System/59472

I wish it is a constructive flaw and will be fixed even without a warranty. 
  • vorob
    Got an answer from official Acer service center in Russia. Only 1 year of warranty... Will try to cover southbridge with some cooling system, just to test if its overheating is the real cause of buzz. And if it will be positive, i'll think about some constant cooling. 

I will never buy acer again, and will spread this story to others. 
  • Rares95
    With my new motherboard, the buzzing is gone, however now I have Coil Whine when playing videogames (not because FPS issue, vsync IS ON, so is Gsync).

I guess I am stuck with this coil whine either way... Which is disappointing.

I don't think I'll ever buy ACER laptops ever again as well...
  • touchnova
    touchnova Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Rares95 - Wow, very disappointing.  Do you notice that the coil whine starts/stops similarly to the buzz from before?  For me, the coil whine would always come just prior to the buzz under load, then would disappear after the buzz stopped once the machine was no longer under load.  Is the coil whine coming through your speakers/headphones or just precipitation from the laptop itself? 
  • Rares95
    edited August 2018
    I always wear headphones so it's not that annoying for me but, the coil whine comes from the GPU area (middle right part of the laptop), under the P key area.

Usually VSYNC helps with GPU coil whine (especially in main menus), but it doesn't for me. It appears under some sort of load (>40%), but the GPU isn't even that hot.

AFAIK, before getting the buzzing through the speakers, I would sometimes get a similar sound from that area, but was not this obvious.

I suspect some sort of circuit was leaking signals from a data bus to the speakers, causing the similarly sounding speaker buzz. Hopefully it won't come back. But for sure, I won't buy ACER again.
  • touchnova
    touchnova Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    I don't blame you for not buying Acer again, I likely will not, as well.  These forums have been very eye opening in general, not just for our model.  Do you think it's worth contacting them again?  I'm wondering if they put an "older model" motherboard (if that is even a thing) back into your computer after they worked on it.  Though it's an inconvenience for you, I wouldn't rest until the machine performed as intended, advertised and promised after the last repairs.  Just my 2 cents...
  • vorob
    Just some internals: https://youtu.be/gPR0MZOFk1o
  • Rares95
    The noise is returning to the speakers back again...I heard my speaker do it. I thought it was the coil whine but it was coming from the right speaker...AGAIN
  • Nambuhs
    Nambuhs Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

@Rares95 Wow, that is *really* disapointing to hear. Are you going to send it back again, or have you given up hope? I’m not certain how I’d feel at this point...
  • Rares95
    I don't know. My warranty expires in November...

Last time it started to make noise it was around April or something last year, until it got to the unbearable point. Might take a few more months for the noise to become louder.

Never buying ACER ever again, that's all I know.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    Wow that sounds bad!

I would at least disconnect the speakers so the issue doesnt spread!
    Im a bit late in this post but did you get a mobo replacement?
    Where do you live?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018
    vorob said:
    Got an answer from official Acer service center in Russia. Only 1 year of warranty... Will try to cover southbridge with some cooling system, just to test if its overheating is the real cause of buzz. And if it will be positive, i'll think about some constant cooling. 

Im afraid overheating doesnt cause this sort of buzz with the speakers.

Did you determine your source to be from the speakers as well or a general buzzing sound?
    There are only a few areas that can cause sounds in a laptop such as speakers, HDD and fans.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Rares95
    Red-Sand said:
    Wow that sounds bad!

Where do you live?
    I did get a replacement, in Denmark.

Red-Sand said:
    vorob said:

Did you determine your source to be from the speakers as well or a general buzzing sound?
    There are only a few areas that can cause sounds in a laptop such as speakers, HDD and fans.
    A component is overheating and causing this issue for sure. Something that transfers signals between HDD and CPU, and CPU and GPU. That would be the southbridge wouldn't it?

• Red-Sand
    Rares95 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    Wow that sounds bad!

Where do you live?
    I did get a replacement, in Denmark.

Red-Sand said:
    vorob said:

A component is overheating and causing this issue for sure. Something that transfers signals between HDD and CPU, and CPU and GPU. That would be the southbridge wouldn't it?

Close. Southbridge connects PCI, USB, ISA, IDE and BIOs etc to Northbridge which connects to CPU, PCIE and RAM.

Southbridge connects to the CPU via Northbridge controller integrated channel circuitry, the Northbridge & directly link signals from the I/O to the CPU for data/access control.

While the Southbridge does have a direct connection to audio codecs (as the IO hub) etc it would be quite difficult to determine it as the source of the speaker issue.

Forgive me if I had missed it.. but from what intel are we assuming two southbridge mobos overheat back to back causing speakers to fail?
    What temps were southbridge running?

I would assume the laptop would auto off instead of causing speakers to fail as they only draw whats required to function and resulting increase in heat wouldnt translate to a voltage spike/permanent damage?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Do you have a warranty repair ticket?
    Were speakers replaced along with mobo?
    What exactly was done (work wise)?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Rares95
    Speakers have nothing to do with this. Only the MB was replaced
  • Red-Sand
    Rares95 said:
    Speakers have nothing to do with this. Only the MB was replaced
    Im sorry I must have misinterpreted this..

"The noise is returning to the speakers back again...I heard my speaker do it. I thought it was the coil whine but it was coming from the right speaker...AGAIN".

So what exactly caused you to determine its *not* the speakers?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Rares95
    Speakers just play a signal man. They don't have any circuits themselves. I use headphones and don't usually notice them right now because it's not as loud. But in time it will become louder as before. It can't be the speakers, something else is bleeding signals towards them. 
This discussion has been closed.