Acer Predator G9-593 buzzing noise coming from speakers under full load (With Video)

Options

Answers

• touchnova
    touchnova Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    bjymoon said:
    Just to update you guys, I've got my computer back 6/7, and it has been fine. They replaced the MB like others. It is really hard to say yet since it has been less than a week that I had it back. 
    Thanks for all the help and advice!
    Very glad to hear!  Keep us updated on how it performs in the coming weeks/months.
  • floyd
    floyd Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Update: Got mine back today 6/18 and I can't seem to trigger the noise anymore. Interestingly though, they replaced the sub-woofer according to the Job Order. Replaced my LCD too for a whole other issue I chose to ignore for a couple of months. I'll let you guys know if the issue is totally gone in the coming weeks/months. Thank you for all the help and advice, and I'm thoroughly impressed with Acer's Customer Service. 5 Working days to get the job done, I live 30 minutes away from the Service Center here in Dubai, walked in and walked out happy.
  • floyd

Tinkerer

edited June 2018
    Options
    Spoke too soon, it's buzzing as we speak
  • Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Where did you get it repaired at, floyd?

Also of course it won't fix the problem.... only a MB replacement will
  • floyd

Tinkerer

Options
    They're an Authorized Acer Service Center here in the UAE, listed under Acer's website as well, they're all we have. I informed them that Acer USA identified it as a motherboard issue when I turned the unit in, sigh. This is a little frustrating, knowing I have to send this back in and insist on a motherboard replacement this time around.
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2018
    Options
    floyd, point them to this thread when you return the laptop. Between all our comments and touchnova's detailed videos, hopefully that will help them realize it is a motherboard issue.
  • touchnova
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Very sorry to hear, floyd.  You mentioned the subwoofer and LCD, but not them replacing the motherboard.  Replacing just the sub will not fix the issue, as the issue isn't related to the speaker(s) at all....and if the tested the device properly, they would know that.  Frustrating.  If they did replace the motherboard, I'm wondering if they replaced it with one from the old batch that still had the fault.  Even then it would seem strange though, because the older faulty ones seemed to work fine for roughly 10 months before going bad.  Too many questions to list here, and anything I say would be speculation.  But please keep us informed.
  • touchnova
    Options
    floyd, just re-read your comments and realized you did mention the motherboard and needing to send it back to insist they replace it.  Sounds like that repair center you dealt with shouldn't be "authorized" at all, and your frustration is well warranted.  Frustrates me just hearing about your case...
  • floyd

Tinkerer

Options
    Phoenix, touchnova, just got back from the service center and they let me talk to the tech who serviced my laptop.

As frustrating as it is to be out another week, I believe this time around will be better. Pointed them to this thread, left "Windows Sticky Notes" (finally found a use for the app haha!) on how to reproduce the noise and a recording of the speaker buzz. I can't really blame the tech, he followed a summarized job order exactly as it was written, and I should have left detailed sticky notes the first time around too in anticipation of the job order being summarized to "speaker is making strange sound".

They still did a great job with my LCD issue, so I'm not going to dock points for them following exactly what the encoder wrote on the job order. I just wish they attempted to communicate before calling the job done.

Thank you guys for the support. Will keep you posted. I'm confident they'll get it right this time around since I got to speak with a techy.
  • Rares95
    Options
    My laptop just came back from the Service in Germany. The note stated they replaced the Motherboard. So far nothing
  • Nambuhs
    Nambuhs Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    Sending mine back for repair today. I left a recording of the sound on the desktop and a sticky note asking that they check out this thread for additional information from other owners with the same issue. I'm crossing my fingers this gets done right the first time.
  • Rares95
    Options
    That should be enough.

I am getting a new issue however after the replacement. When I am talking with my friends on Discord/Steam etc, they report they can hear themselves through the Microphone. That should be very unlikely though, as I have gaming headphones with mic and they didn't report this to me before i sent it in. If i keep the sound through the headphones and switch microphone to the laptop's microphone, it still happens. I am not listening that loud that it picks up from my headphones, I've tested that theory as well.

If I use a USB sound card and pass my headphone mic through it, the noise isn't there.

So I suspect it's the Onboard soundcard from the motherboard that is bleeding sound into the input instead of only output. Can anyone report if it happens to them after getting the MB replaced?
  • touchnova
    Options
    Rares95 - I use Discord fairly regularly and have never had anyone mention the issue you mentioned, either prior to or after my motherboard was replaced.  No experience with chatting via Steam.  Wish I had better information to provide, but in doing a general search for this issue ("discord friends can hear themselves") I found it is pretty common on Discord/Steam/TeamSpeak and often comes down to making sure settings are proper under playback and recording devices.  Could explain why using an external card would temporarily resolve the issue since the computer would be using different settings specific to the external card.  Keep us posted.

Nambuhs - Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

• Rares95
    Options
    What is weird that this didn't happen before. Even when recording the audio with the microphone with Audacity, I can hear my friends through my recording. Again using headphones, and using headphone's mic OR the laptop's mic. If i turn the headphones loud enough I can hear my friends 2 times in the recording in audacity. It's really weird, and again, it doesn't happen if my mic is connected to a separate USB sound card :/
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Rares95 - I only use Discord occasionally. I tested it out today after your post and no one reported hearing themselves. I don't chat on Steam and haven't used TeamSpeak in years, so no info to offer you for those platforms.
  • floyd

Tinkerer

Options
    @everyone - it's been about 2 weeks now since I got the laptop back. Didn't want to post too early like last time. The buzz is gone even after long gaming/render sessions. Here's hoping it doesn't happen again after 10 months.

@Rares95 - That's unfortunate. I'm pretty sure you've checked this already, but is mic boost off?

@Nambuhs - Good luck!
  • Greere
    Greere Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi all, 
    I have same issue with my G9-793 (buzzing sound from right speaker when in gaming or load sessions).Is anyone here who didnt sent the laptop i to service for replacing the MB? The problem is that my warranty expired and i dont know if should i spend 500+ $ on replacing the motherboard is worthy. I want to know if i will disconnect the speakers will solve the problem and later will be ok and the problem wont get worse.
  • touchnova
    Options
    floyd - Glad to hear things are going better, and hoping the issue never returns!

Greere - Are you sure your warranty has expired? For most Acer products the warranty is only 1 year, but for the Predator line of products it is 2 years.  If you are past the 2-year mark, it's still worth contacting Acer directly to find out what it would cost to extend the service.  As well, I'd lay it on thick because this is clearly a manufacturer's defect that we are all proof of.  They might try to wiggle, but also might work with you to resolve the issue.  Acer knows they are at fault here, no way around that...warranty or not.  So hopefully you're still within the 2-year window, but definitely contact them regardless.  And if can, have them establish a Case ID number for you and speak with the second tier of support, which is much better.  Or, just request to speak with a supervisor/manager.  Good luck and keep us posted.
  • JohnCena
    JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Rip, try undervolting, clean setup of win10 for last chance or install fan drivers if you have or contact acer.
  • touchnova
    edited July 2018
    Options
    JohnCena said:
    Rip, try undervolting, clean setup of win10 for last chance or install fan drivers if you have or contact acer.

You have the right thread here?
This discussion has been closed.