Acer Predator G9-593 buzzing noise coming from speakers under full load (With Video)

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Rares95 did you try disconnecting this cable to see if your speakers will still work?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Nope, haven't tried it, will send it to ACER when i am able to (next week most likely) for repairs. I already covered my right speaker with some duct tape so it's less noisy when gaming
  • orudie
    orudie Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I just recorded a video with to show you that the sound still works.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2m17uPSx7c

• orudie

Tinkerer

ya ya send it in for "REPAIR" lol. Just give it a try and see for yourself.
  • ven98
    I would like you to try something. Open this link, set the frequency at 75Hz, press play and turn up the speaker's volume to 100. You should hear a vibrating type of sound, if the vibration isn't present, then the subwoofer is disconnected.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• orudie

Tinkerer

I can hear the sound at 75hz and lower. The lowest I can hear it is 30Hz.
  • Rares95
    I am 100% sure the subwoofer is still connected, but the left/right speakers aren't. With ACER's drivers, the subwoofer will stop at over 500Hz or similar. Do the Windows' Test for speakers, then you will hear left/right speakers if they are still working (doubt they are because they are disconnected)
  • ven98

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• orudie

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    With windows sound test left speaker works right does not work. This is really not a big deal for me. I never used the built in speakers anyway because they suck.
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    orudie said:
    With windows sound test left speaker works right does not work. This is really not a big deal for me. I never used the built in speakers anyway because they suck.
    I was curious what you actually had disconnected. Thanks for sharing your experiences and offering a fix. But, like Rares95 said, I think this is a band-aid to a bigger issue. Like my father used to joke that if the car started to make a funny noise, he'd just turn the radio up and "problem solved".  :) 
  • touchnova
    touchnova Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Phoenix, I think your dad and mine are of the same generation... ;)
  • Rares95
    Found something interesting. Because i am torrenting a lot of stuff lately, there's a constant usage of my HDD's, albeit low. I did a stress test using CrystalDiskMark for both my HDD's (i have the second one in my ODD), and it appears they almost immediately trigger the sound. From further experimentation it makes sense...I don't think it has something to do with GPU stress test, but more on some sort of electrical interference from a bus or something... from the spectrogram we know it's around 8-9 kHz frequency, so maybe we can put 2 and 2 together?
  • Rares95
    So the buzzing will start shortly after i make CrystalDiskMark write sequentially (just to keep it at full writing speed) to the hard disk in the HDD bay (not ODD, ODD doesn't do anything significant to the buzzing).

Also I maybe didn't mention it - but running fans on full will make the buzzing almost go away completely, however it's NOT A SOLUTION, the fans are really loud and it will increase their wear level fast...

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited February 2018
    I just ran the same test on my HDD and within 4 minutes, the buzzing started up. Like you, I've found turning the fans to max and/or unplugging the laptop helps to quiet the rig. 
  • touchnova
    Not sure if it's relevant to your thoughts on hard drive involvement, but I was able to reproduce the noise within 4-5 minutes when using Heaven Benchmark to stress test the system.  I don't know if it's a CPU load, GPU load or hard drive load....but the symptoms can be easily reproduced a number of different ways, as we can all attest.
  • Rares95
    https://superuser.com/questions/348531/strange-noise-when-moving-files

This might explain it, maybe. I was moving something from my HDD and SSD today (around 30GB) and it started after 2-3 minutes. Without any gaming session before it, no load no high temps. Just transferring some files...
  • Krauz
    Krauz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same problem just started a few days ago. Will try to contact customer service or unplug the speakers
  • Krauz
    Krauz Member Posts: 2 New User
    They say to send the laptop, cant do that as I live in mexico, so goodbye speakers, unpluggin the cable now
  • Rares95
    This doesn't look very good for ACER. ***** sake.... I can't send it either, i NEED it for bloody uni... I only have this laptop...
  • touchnova
    I just heard back from Acer regarding my laptop with this same issue - the motherboard needed to be replaced.  For those who want to unplug a speaker and call it good...the speaker is merely a symptom of the bigger issue.  If you have the ability to send your device in for repairs, I'd recommend doing so.  The have a 7-10 day policy for repairs to be completed, and of course shipping time to/from.  In my case the motherboard was not in stock and wasn't scheduled to be in for what they felt was an acceptable period of time, so the offered me a brand new laptop.  Knowing that, "choose your own adventure"...
This discussion has been closed.