Acer Predator G9-593 buzzing noise coming from speakers under full load (With Video)

Answers

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I have a G9-793 and was experiencing the same issues as all of you have been reporting. The buzzing started up in late December and occurred when the computer was under a high load (Nvidia Iray rendering). I thought I would have to take it in for service, but as of the latest Nvidia driver update (23.21.13.9065) that I installed two days ago, the sound does not return even if I render the same scenes that would cause it prior to the most recent update.

Just wanted to put that info out there. I did not update BIOS or any audio drivers. The only update was the display driver. YMMV.
  • Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    I also have the latest drivers, bios etc, still buzzing. It's a heat issue for me. Once the GPU or even the HDD (51*C) get hot enough for long enough, it will start buzzing.

UNLESS i run fans at 100% which is not ideal at all...
  • orudie
    orudie Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Called Acer predator support, spoke with a technician, explained the issue I am having with a speaker noise. He said I need to send in my laptop for repair to Texas. I really do not want to do that. I would rather take it apart and disconnect the speakers. Does anyone have a video of how to take it apart and disconnect the speakers?
  • Rares95
    orudie said:
    Called Acer predator support, spoke with a technician, explained the issue I am having with a speaker noise. He said I need to send in my laptop for repair to Texas. I really do not want to do that. I would rather take it apart and disconnect the speakers. Does anyone have a video of how to take it apart and disconnect the speakers?
    Still haven't sent mine in yet, waiting for end of my exams... It does suck to send the thing you mainly work on for repairs for 1-2 weeks.... I think the problem is deeper than just the speaker making noise tho. It's also getting worse now. The buzzing will happen even if not in high load sometimes which is really annoying.
  • Phoenix1966
    Mine started to crackle again, too, after being stable for two days after the latest Nvidia display driver update. I need to finish a project first before contacting Acer as this is my primary work machine as well, and I am not looking forward to the hit this will make in my production work flow.
  • orudie

Tinkerer

I solved my crackling sound issue. Basically, I took the back cover off and disconnected a connector next to the battery. Speakers still work, and the annoying noise is gone. I even took a screenshot of the connector which I disconnected specifically for this forum, but I get a stupid message saying "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links" Look for the video on youtube called "Acer Predator 15 (G9-593, GTX 1070) - disassembly and upgrade options" which will explain to you how to take apart your laptop. Once you take the cover off, there is a small 4 pin connector next to the battery (not the big one!) with white, red, and black wires which I disconnected which solved the crackling noise problem.

• Rares95
    Again, I don't think disconnecting will solve the underlying issue
  • touchnova
    touchnova Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    In addition, it would be nice to know exactly what is being unplugged. 
  • Rares95
    Personally I think it's some motherboard component getting too hot, maybe some voltage regulator or something. Maybe the audio chip itself. Simply disconnecting the speakers shouldn't be classified as a solution... Usually the right side of the laptop gets hot when this starts as far as I observed, might be wrong.
  • touchnova
    touchnova Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Rares95 said:
    ......... Simply disconnecting the speakers shouldn't be classified as a solution...
    You'll notice orudie said "Speakers still work...", meaning they're not even unplugging the speakers...just some other random component. :|  They didn't say what that component was, which I find problematic.
  • Rares95
    Oh right... weird
  • Phoenix1966
    Rares95 said:
    Usually the right side of the laptop gets hot when this starts as far as I observed, might be wrong.
    This occurs for me as well. 
  • orudie

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    This is the connector I disconnected which I mentioned earlier and the noise is gone. I thought this was the speakers connection, but it is something else. I am not sure what it is, but ever since there are no issues and I do some heavy gaming every night and no more noise. The battery is charging, and everything works as it should. I will keep watching this forum thread, and maybe someone can identify what it is. I am just so glad not to hear the stupid buzzing noise every time I turn on a game.

• Rares95
    Very strange, they look like the speaker connections, but you say they still work? Wtf?
  • orudie

Tinkerer

Yep, speakers still work!
  • Rares95
    But that's the only wire i see that goes to the speakers... how do they STILL work? Can someone from ACER answer this for us lol

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    This is the speaker connector, I don't understand how the speakers still work after being disconnected.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I guess it could be the subwoofer only.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Rares95
    Are you sure any sounds aren't coming from the subwoofer, orudie?
  • Rares95
    Still not a fix for the underlying problem though...
This discussion has been closed.